Centuri - Star Trooper Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean B

Reaction score
Here's my Estes remake of the original Centuri Star Trooper. As near as I can tell, Centuri released the kit in 1973. It was a rear-ejection, plastic nose cone, high-altitude 13mm design.

This Estes version uses the more traditional nose-separation streamer recovery. I finished mine in Rustoleum green, and I opted for Rustoleum metallic gold for the nose because all of that green and yellow was starting to look like a John Deere tractor.

No flights yet, but I'm betting that an A3 will put this one out of sight.

Catalog pic 3.jpg Star Trooper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job on a small rocket! My gal just bought me one of those so it was a pleasure to see one built. That and I'm a sucker for the old Centuri designs.

Last edited:
I have an old Centuri one sitting in the bag but know very little about it. Can you describe how the rear ejection was supposed to work? Unitl your post, I just assumed it had a regular streamer or something.

I have an old Centuri one sitting in the bag but know very little about it. Can you describe how the rear ejection was supposed to work? Unitl your post, I just assumed it had a regular streamer or something.
The Centuri Star Trooper instructions are posted at YORF. Those instructions give options to build it with rear ejection or as a conventional pop-the-nose cone model. Either the original Centuri or the Estes reissue should disappear on an A3-4T. Link: https://www.oldrocketplans.com/centuri/cenKM-3/cenKM-3.htm

Here's mine, from the new Estes kit.

EstesStarTrooper.jpg

I decided to go with a brighter green than the kit art. If it decides to head for the burger bushes, I'd at least like a better chance of finding it. Everything was going fine until I sprayed on the clear coat. It wrinkled and crazed all over the bugger. I don't know what happened—it wasn't like I hadn't used the Testor's/Rustoleum combo before. Really disappointing. This is as close to a "good" side as it has.
StarTrooper.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... just looked up the Centuri instructions. That rear engine technique is interesting in that the rear ejection version is much shorter than the traditional recovery version. I also note that the nose cone was a lot longer in the Centuri kit. I'm thinking of building two - one each using the different recovery methods, and using a Quark nose cone. It's not quite right, but it's longer than the balsa cone that came with the Estes kit. Man, between stuff like this and all the Semroc and Fliskits I got at NARAM, I don't know what to build next! :confused2:

I decided to go with a brighter green than the kit art. If it decides to head for the burger bushes, I'd at least like a better chance of finding it. Everything was going fine until I sprayed on the clear coat. It wrinkled and crazed all over the bugger. I don't know what happened—it wasn't like I hadn't used the Testor's/Rustoleum combo before. Really disappointing. This is as close to a "good" side as it has.
StarTrooper.jpg

I like that rocket holder...Where did you get it/make it from??? Awesome little rockets But for me I like my 30''-40'' C6-3 scratch builds the best.:D

[POW]Eagle159;219211 said:
I like that rocket holder...Where did you get it/make it from???

It's an Estes fin marking guide—there's another one for bigger/different sized body tubes. I saw them packaged with an angled ruler w/slider for marking tube cuts, fins, etc. It was $10 so I figured why not? Turns out they're handy, but not necessary.

[POW]Eagle159;219211 said:
Awesome little rockets But for me I like my 30''-40'' C6-3 scratch builds the best.:D

The 220 Swift and the Star Trooper are my first 13mm rockets. Looking forward to launching 'em. I have several 24mm rockets in the build pile, but it'll be a while before I get to them. My gal bought and gave me the little guys, so I figured it'd be prudent to build 'em chop, chop.

The 220 Swift and the Star Trooper are my first 13mm rockets. Looking forward to launching 'em.

Just a note - the 220 Swift simply vanishes, even with 1/4A3-3s. I found mine once by pure dumb luck, but the second flight was a DNF (did not find). Star Trooper loves 1/2A3-4s. A nice smoke trail right to apogee, remains visible, recovers close. I've flown mine 7 or 8 times now.

Here are 10 Star Troopers, all but the far left (mine) built by 12-14 year olds.

317574_10150498244074922_710779921_11322025_947866592_n.jpg

Mine up close, ready to demonstrate for the students.

BlanchardSkyTaxi.jpg

Lift-off shot of a student's

006Launch.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note - the 220 Swift simply vanishes, even with 1/4A3-3s. I found mine once by pure dumb luck, but the second flight was a DNF (did not find). Star Trooper loves 1/2A3-4s. A nice smoke trail right to apogee, remains visible, recovers close. I've flown mine 7 or 8 times now.

My Swift didn't vanish... I put an A3-4T in it and it shot off the pad. I could track it because of the smoke trail. It went out of sight for a second and there was a "Where is it?" moment, but then it came back into view. It was NOT using feather weight recovery, and it lawn darted. Anyway, I'm glad I got it back.

Welcome to the Centuri - Star Trooper (KM-3 or #5103) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Star Trooper (KM-3 or #5103) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Star Trooper: KM-3 or #5103
Estes: Star Trooper: #3031

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Star Trooper (KM-3 or #5303) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Star Trooper

KM-3 or #5303

Introduced: 1973
Final Year: 1979
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter: 0.54"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The highest flying single engine mini kit! Hollow molded cone for REAR EJECTION streamer. Includes balsa fins and decals plus parts for alternate longer version. (Centuri 1973 Catalog)

centuri-star%20trooper-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1973 Catalog
centuri-star%20trooper-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

centuri-star%20trooper-facecard.jpg

centuri-star%20trooper-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Star Trooper (#3031) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Star Trooper

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 7.4"
Diameter: 0.54"
Span:
Weight: 0.3 oz

Mfg. Description: Part of the Estes Classic Series. Estes has gone back to the archives, pulled up old drawings and spec sheets and brought these fantastic flying machines back for old and new rocketeers to enjoy. This kit has been reproduced and updated while still retaining the classic lines of the original. (Estes 2012 Web Ad)

estes-star%20trooper-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

estes-star%20trooper-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back