Centuri - Screaming Eagle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
For me, the Centuri Screaming Eagle starer set was what got me into rocketry as a kid. As a BAR, I managed to get my hands on one again and, though it does not fly much, it is a sentimental favorite.

The old TRF 1 info on it can be found here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=47994

Today, I took it out to play again.

I started out by prying out the old Centuri B4-6 which had been sitting in it since its last outing and repacking the chute, slicking it up with some talcum powder. I then loaded an A6-4 and took it to the pad.

SE-f1a.jpg

SE-f1b.jpg

SE-f1c.jpg

I was very happy as it started up. It looked good and brought back memories.

SE-f1d.jpg

SE-f1e.jpg

SE-f1f.jpg

It also brought back memories when it arced over with no sign that the chute might want to eject some day.

I was not a very good rocketeer as a kid.

SE-f1g.jpg

The chute never did come out and it lawn darted.

But it also brought back the memory of how durable this rocket is. At first glance there was no damage.

SE-f1h.jpg

Closer examination showed that the chute was too tight. The ejection charge was unable to expel it and instead tore loose the motor mount. It can be fixed.

SE-f1i.jpg

SE-f1j.jpg

It also brought back memories when it arced over with no sign that the chute might want to eject some day.

I was not a very good rocketeer as a kid.

Oh man...
I haven't seen a Centuri - Screaming Eagle sine the late 70's.
It was my first rocket kit!
Got it for Christmas in a Starter Kit back in the early 70's.
Cool to cruise down memory lane again ain't it?

And ease up on yourself John, we were all kids at one time.

Jeepers...Don't be hard on yourself. It happens to all of us. ;)

-Dave

It still happens to me now, just take a look at the conclusion of my Zooch Saturn I SA5 thread.:confused2:

It just happens a lot less to me now. I usually try to do things the right way these days. Back then, I just tried to shove the biggest motor I could find into the mount and push the button. I'm surprised my original Screaming Eagle lasted as long as it did. I do remember seeing in once while cleaning out the garage after starting college. It got tossed.:mad::mad::mad:

Oh man...
I haven't seen a Centuri - Screaming Eagle sine the late 70's.
It was my first rocket kit!
Got it for Christmas in a Starter Kit back in the early 70's.
Cool to cruise down memory lane again ain't it?

And ease up on yourself John, we were all kids at one time.

Looking for this particular rocket is the reason I originally started haunting Ebay. It will always be sentimental to me.

I've got two of them. One came from Australia in some long ago Ebay auction. Broke a fin on the first flight. The other one was more recent, but also an Ebay bird. I'll have to check my flight logs to see if I've flown that one yet.:blush:

Yep Folks that was some flight. I thought John was gunna cry there as it took off. Good Times..Good Times.

Went I see an Estes Streak it brings a tear to my eye also(mostly because I will probably lose it!), since that was the first rocket I ever flew.

Once again happy birthday John.

Andrew

On its last flight, almost 3 years ago, the motor mount blew out of my Screaming Eagle. It was found and it has sat around waiting for me to get around to fixing it. Now is the time as I prepare for the Classics contest.

damaged-mount-1.jpg

I saw no sign of a thrust ring and it seems as if the original mount relied exclusively on the motor hook. I decided to cut a thrust ring from an expended motor.

thrust-ring-1.jpg

The newly cut ring was seated against the motor hook and glued in place with Titebond III.

thrust-ring-2.jpg

The motor mount was then slipped back into the rear of the rocket with some glue to hold it in place.

motor-mount-1.jpg

The rocket was then re-assembled.

I decided that since I have some time, I'm going to do some more work in preparation for the contest.

assembled-1.jpg

I had neither the intention nor the ability to make my screaming eagle look like new but I did want to improve things a bit. The corners of the foil decals which were coming up were glued back down. A damp rag was used to clean some of the dirt away. I then masked the NC joint to protect it from Future.

masked-for-future-1.jpg

The Future was sponged on and then sponged on again. It left everything, especially the plastic parts, more shiny but the grime of age and the yellow from the original carpenter's glue is still in evidence.

Its showing it's age.

Still, further improvements are not possible without much more skill than I have and much more work than I contemplate.

done-1.jpg

done-2.jpg

That's one nice rocket!

I have a Spartan from Semroc. Same shape, different materials. This design looks great and flies beautifully!

Back