Centuri pronunciation?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I always wondered - pronounced like century (which is how I've pronounced it for 40 years) or cen-TUREE with the emphasis on the last two syllables?

I guess we could even ask this about Estes. Est-eez, or Estezz? Estezz is what I've always assumed.

At the 1:19 mark: "Estes" (Bill Stine)
At the 2:27 mark: "Centuri" by Dan Hagadorn. curator, Museum of Flight.

Edit: 8:40 mark: "Centuri" by Lee Piester, founder.

Last edited:
I always wondered - pronounced like century (which is how I've pronounced it for 40 years) or cen-TUREE with the emphasis on the last two syllables?

I guess we could even ask this about Estes. Est-eez, or Estezz? Estezz is what I've always assumed.
Well I would say the above video answers it pretty... well, I'm gonna have to say "not clearly". After listening 5 times, I can't tell if he's putting the accent on the first or second syllables. He's definitely pronouncing the "T" as in "Century", though (like a "ch").

I spent most of my life saying "Est-eez" but have now reprogrammed myself (mostly) to say Est-ess. Takes a bit of effort but eventually starts to sound normal. I'm a big advocate of pronouncing names correctly, when the correct pronunciation is known.

I still say Esteez "long e" I believe an east coast pronunciation
I used to.

But given that it's based on someone's name, I would say there's a right and a wrong way to pronounce it, not subject to regional variation. Of course it's not a big deal either way, and no one is going to sic the lawyers on you for saying Esteez.

Regarding Centuri, it's sĕn•CHŪ•rē or sĕn•CHOR•rē

Regarding Estes:
[G]iven that it's based on someone's name, I would say there's a right and a wrong way to pronounce it, not subject to regional variation.
I completey agree in this case. So Vern says it's with two short Es? I did not know that. His is the only answer that counts.

There are other cases where regional variations outweigh other considerations. The city in Texas is Hyū•stən, but the street in Greenwich Village is How•stən, because that's how the people who "own" them say it.

Regarding Estes:I completey agree in this case. So Vern says it's with two short Es? I did not know that. His is the only answer that counts.
I believe so. If I'm wrong on this I hope someone will correct me.
There are other cases where regional variations outweigh other considerations. The city in Texas is Hyū•stən, but the street in Greenwich Village is How•stən, because that's how the people who "own" them say it.
Correct. In those cases I consider them to be essentially different names, although spelled the same. See also: Versailles, IA IN (corrected).

Last edited:
We have a Versailles, Indiana too. It's pronounced Ver-Sales here. Same in IA? I don't know if it's just lazy or to not be French. Ha, ha.

Ooph, it'l take some severe cognitive rerouting to actually say that ver-sales

Sort of like Cairo Egypt (ky-ro) and Cairo in the US (kay-ro) or long-A Arab alabama

Verne Estes pronounces his name with a short e.
Lee Piester pronounces the name of the company he founded to rhyme with "venturi".
And all this time I thought it was pronounced PIE-ster, it's actually PEE-ster.
Heh.

Sort of like Cairo Egypt (ky-ro) and Cairo in the US (kay-ro) or long-A Arab alabama

I'm impressed! Not many people know how to pronounce kay-ro.

There's also Berlin, pronounced BURR-lin. At least around here.

And yes, ThirstyB- there is Arab, AL pronounced just like Ray Stevens says it. He's from Albany GA, pronounced ALL-benny, just a few minutes down the road.

Reminds me of a time I was listening to local news in Tempe, AZ. They happened to be discussing the name of the city with the mayor and he said something like: “We should probably say “Tem-pay“, but I say “Tem-pee”. :dontknow:

So, how do you pronounce "ghoti"?

Goat tea?
G hot ee?
G hot eye?
Fish?
or as a completely silent word?

And yes, it's an English "word" (as well as a Klingon one too (means "Fish")).

If it's your name you get to decide how it's said. If you live there you get to decide how it's said.

That's why I try not to mind Miami ( my AM uh ) and Verdigris ( VER duh griss ) Oklahoma. Still really grinds my chalkboard though.

One of the oddest place pronunciations I’ve heard is Hurricane, UT, pronounced like hurkin. They got rid of an entire syllable.

California has a lot of Spanish place names, but almost all of them are pronounced with Anglo pronunciations of the Spanish spellings.

Back