Centuri Mach-10 Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished up construction of a Centuri Mach-10 clone. It is ready for primer and paint. The engine tube and nosecone are done. The only mess-up was not moving the stabilizer 1/4" from the rear of the tube. What I get for building by pictures and NOT reading the instructions. I am thinking of going with a Russian paint scheme but haven't decided yet.
jhjhkj 002.jpgjhjhkj 003.jpg.

The Russian paint would look really cool. Looks like an old school Mig.

This model has always screamed steampunk or dieselpunk to me, like something out of Crimson Skies. Air Pirates FTW!

Nice! Looking forward to the launch report as mine tended tumbled out of the sky. :( Hope yours has better luck! :)

Nice! Looking forward to the launch report as mine tended tumbled out of the sky. :( Hope yours has better luck! :)

Yeah, based on my experience launching one 30 years ago, make sure you fly it on a soft field. It glides rather fast...

Pack as much weight into the marker cone as you can and keep the paint light. A B4-2 is your friend. A C5-3 is NOT.:facepalm:

I went with a bt-60 for the main body tube. The motor tube and nosecone are from an Estes Viking kit and the belly tank is bt-5 with a couple of small nosecones from spare parts box.

Did you install a BT-60 coupler in the front end? Really helps with balancing and durability.

Yes I did. I also remembered to leave one of the belly tank nosecones unglued so that I can add/remove clay for balance.

I've built and flown a few of these.

From memory, pack the marker cone as full of clay as you can. When painting don't seal the wings, leave the surface rough. It helps break up the boundary layer and glides better.
Do plenty of hand toss glide tests to adjust the clay in the "tank". Make sure you have a spent engine installed for these glide tests. You want a straight, gentile decent with no banking left or right.
No stalls or dives. Lastly launch at the angle in the instructions. She will curve under boost.

Make an extra marker cone as they are easy to lose.

It's a great flyer! Have fun.

Got the base coat of gloss white done and now the masking for the trim color. Probably went overboard with the masking again! I used Krylon gloss white (new formula) and it actually went on very well. Masking with plastic bags from the grocery store works well too. More pics to come when I get to the next stage.
asset.php

fixed.jpg

Last edited:
Back