Centuri IRIS rebuild

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Martin Vrstal, Oct 31, 2002.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 31, 2002 #1

Martin Vrstal

Martin Vrstal

Martin Vrstal

I first bought this kit in 1975 and did the typical 12 year old, cut the fins out ( no sanding required ) and just glued them on. Painted it metal flake blue (man it was cool ) and launched it a bunch of times.

Untill one day, the nose cone and parachute went one way and the rocket body went another. I happened to recover the BT. but the NC was no where to be found. I kept the BT all these years with all my other rockets thinking someday it would be rebuilt.

This year I found " The Rocketry Forum". After chatting with The Famous "Sandman" one night, he said it would not be a problem to whip up a new nosecone and he would have me flying again.

Well, time to rebuild. I removed the old planks that served as the wings. That left me with the BT. and the original motor mount. I reglued the MM. and sanded the old paint job off. Cut new fins and paper wraps that serve as straps on the rocket. Sanded the fins to scale glued them all on very carefully, and gave the rocket a couple of coats of primer.

When the new nosecone arrived, I carefully sanded, gave it a few coats of sealer and sanded it again. A little primer and ready for paint.

This time it has a scale paint job and looks "COOLER " than it did in 1975.

I'd like to thank Sandman for his help in this project. Also JimZ for the great decals. Here's the finished rocket.

2. Oct 31, 2002 #2

sandman

sandman

sandman

OH MAN! That's beautiful!

Proud to have been a part of it.

But I thought you'd have made a "scale" roller stand out of old little tiny pallet wood.

Looks GREAT!

sandman

3. Oct 31, 2002 #3

eugenefl

eugenefl

eugenefl

Martin, I commend you on this tremendous effort! What a great rebirth for a rocket. Sometimes, once they've lost a fin or bent a body tube, they're destined for the rocket junkyard for scrap or even worse, the trash. I brought life back into one of my own rockets that I had as an 11/12 year old - the DER V-3. At the time, this was a monster rocket for me. The sight of a D-powered rocket was amazing to us back then. I got to high school and lost interest in rockets. By the time I left home for the Air Force, the rocket fins were all broken off and the lower airframe was bent. Well, once I got home and started breathing rocketry again, I did exactly what you did - I rebuilt it! Luckily, the only decal damaged in the process was a fin detail decal that I happened to have and extra of! Finally, after all those years, the DER V-3 was reborn and reflown. What a great kit....

Thanks for sharing your story. I absolutely love what the internet has added to my experience in rocketry.

See the attached picture of my newly rebuilt DER V-3.

4. Nov 10, 2002 #4

flying_silverad

flying_silverad

flying_silverad

Very nice looking airframes! Lets see some liftoff pics!!!