Centuri flameproofing solution

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedMax

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some flameproofing solution for my upcoming V-32 build. The plans call for Centuri flameproofing solution, which is just liquid sodium silicate. Where is the best place to buy this? I've looked at several places, but Carolina Biological seems like the most reputable.

Amazon & Fleabay both have several different ads. You might try an old fashion hardware store if you have one in your area. It may be under the name "water glass". Some people use it to home can eggs.

Check your local car repair parts store. There are several brands of radiator stop leak that have sodium silicate as the major ingrediant in the "clear" part of the liquid. The stuff I found was blue with copper powder in the bottom - just let it settle, then carefully pour off the liquid part.

I have tried this many years ago. The 'water glass' (boy- does that take ME back!) tends to bubble and then congeal back into place-kinda like molten sulphur. Auto parts stores have VHT (Very High Temp) engine block/header paint or even caliper paint in several colours. FWIW- I lined a recessed retainer throat ina turned balsa tailcone with Proline 4500 and bonded an aluminium sleeve into it. Melted the sleeve with a long burn and the PL survived quite nicely (dang it)

Back