Centuri Flameproofing Solution

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I've been looking over some plans at JIMZ and found an intriguing set for a rocket called the V-32. It is from 1 1970 issue of American Aircraft Modeler magazine.

One of the steps calls for painting and interior shroud, effectively an extension of the engine nozzle, with "Centuri Flameproofing Solution"

Since I'm assuming that stuff is not availible anymore, can anyone tell me what it was, how well it worked and if there are substitutes availible?

It was a Sodium Silicate solution. I still have my bottle, although it's dried up.

That makes sense.

I just checked a few chem supply places and the smallest quantity is a quart.

I wonder how many odd rockets I would have to build to use that up:rolleyes:

Thanks.

somewhere either here (before the crash), on YORF, or RP somebody posted a formula f/ flame retardant solution -- it was a mixture of water, borax, and boric acid -- I don't recall the ratios.

sodium silicate is also called waterglass some drugstores sell it -- not sure what it is used for.

Yeah, sodium silicate is "water wetter" isn't it??

It reduces the surface tension of water molecules, sorta like a detergent does, and makes the water "wetter" so that it spreads out more on surfaces like the inside of engine blocks and cylinder heads to improve heat transfer... I've heard of racers using it...

Later! OL JR :)

Sodium silicate is not the same stuff as "water wetter".

Sodium silicate is used in some of those "stop leak" products to seal pinholes in your radiator or head gasket.

somewhere either here (before the crash), on YORF, or RP somebody posted a formula f/ flame retardant solution -- it was a mixture of water, borax, and boric acid -- I don't recall the ratios.

sodium silicate is also called waterglass some drugstores sell it -- not sure what it is used for.

Is there any infor as to whether the silicate or the boric acid approach is more effective?

Is there any infor as to whether the silicate or the boric acid approach is more effective?

The boric acid formula is for making homemade flameproof wadding. Two different uses. We used to paint the Centuri solution on the bottom areas of the fins and bottom of the body tube. I painted it on the inside of my The Point as well.

The boric acid formula is for making homemade flameproof wadding. Two different uses. We used to paint the Centuri solution on the bottom areas of the fins and bottom of the body tube. I painted it on the inside of my The Point as well.

I was aware of the boric acid/wadding link. I wondered if impregnating bond paper with the stuff would yield worthwhile results.

As to the Centuri stuff, did you find that it was effective? If so, I might go ahead and order a quart to try out. That should last me well into forever, unless it dries out on me.

As to the Centuri stuff, did you find that it was effective? If so, I might go ahead and order a quart to try out. That should last me well into forever, unless it dries out on me.
It works, but you can see where it's applied. I wouldn't use it on a show bird.

It works, but you can see where it's applied. I wouldn't use it on a show bird.

That helps.

The application that brought this to mind is well hidden. You'd have to be looking up the motor tube to see it.

Thanks again.

Back