Centuri Fantasy Fleet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laseradam

Reaction score
In 1975 Centuri offered a special deal on a "Fantasy Fleet" As part of a package you could get a Vulcan, Taurus, and a Vector V all for $6.95. A 45 cents saving from the cost of buying each.

So I decided to clone all three to make my own Fantasy Fleet.

Here is a photo of the work so far. Everything is waiting on the paint.

From left to right is the Vulcan, Taurus and Vector V.

Well they cost more than $6.95.

But really the Vulcan was printed on 2 sheet of photo paper. Nose cone from Semroc about $2.00 Body tube and engine mount came from a clearence kit that cost 40 cents from Meigers.

Vector-V started as a Vicking Kit that cost around $4.00 plus a Engine mount and a piece of tube from Semroc. So about $8.00 plus the decal I will make with my inkjec printer.

Now the Taurus I got all the nose cones and two transitions from Moldin' Oldies for 16.50 plus shipping. The tubing about $3.00 from Semroc. and the balsa sheet about $2.00 from Hobby Lobby. Decals, engine mount and parachutes a few more bucks.

So between $35 and $40.

Of course $6.95 was way out of my reach as a kid in 1978. I might have made around $2.00 an hour washing dishes

Originally posted by laseradam
Well they cost more than $6.95.

Of course $6.95 was way out of my reach as a kid in 1978. I might have made around $2.00 an hour washing dishes

WOW! You were raking in the bucks! I was getting $1.60 an hour to bus tables in a local greasy spoon.

You're absolutely right. Times have changed. I was right in there with you guys at about $2 an hour, and that made my dream of radio control way out of reach. But that was the great thing about model rocketry -- it didn't take a whole lot of saving to build something cool. And then, rather than just sit there (like a lot of plastic models I built) I got to launch them!

Now my kids are in the same boat. It just seems that things are WAY more expensive nowadays.

B.

P.S. Didn't mean to turn this into a $$$ issue. Sorry.

No I got the Vulcan plans off of the Jimz's site but they are in TIFF format.

Man I've been looking for a Valcan plan for awhile now. Any chance you'd have it in PDF format? Very nice fleet

The instructions on Jim Z's are TIF's but the paper patterns are JPG's.

The latest version of the paint program that comes with Windows reads TIF's now.

I have made a Vulcan in MicroMaxx size but I haven't launched it yet.

Thanks for the plan Laser! over the weekend I built the full size model, and downscaled it for .281" min dia Micro-Maxx. I'm very pleased with the outcome on both:) As soon as the nose weight and black paint dries I'll take a couple pics to upload

Somebody here correct me if I'm wrong...LOL! There is a **** good chance of THAT happening! but didn't the Taurus use part of the 1/100th Saturn V wrap?

Maybe the Estes wrap would work.

sandman

Got them to dry..Here's the pic:D
Can't wait to get them both out to the field, as I remember the full size model really moves on a C6-3. I imagine the Micro will be a blur as well on a MMXII-.75.

It was indeed the Orion that used the Saturn 1B wraps. The Orion did use the same fin and pod stand off patterns as the Taurus.
DT

I have started my own Centuri Fantasy Fleet this weekend. I printed the patterns for the Vulcan and still experimenting on how to make the fins a little more sturdy. I also started with the Taurus using the BT from the Estes Designer’s Special (EDS) I purchased for $37 from Tower Hobbies.

I may carve the NCs from balsa stock this week.

I am printing the Vulcan patterns on photo paper and plan to glue the patterns over cardstock to add strength; the fins will be a little trickier because of the folding that has to be done. The cardstock for inside the Vulcan fins will also be printed, trimmed, then glued. Check the picture to get an idea of how they will look. I took the original patterns and used PSP to change them.

This is how the Vulcan's end should look once I am done with it...
This one is on display at work, non-flying status.

For the Taurus I have downloaded the plans from Jimz and I have done about 50% of the construction. I used the BT and balsa sheets from the EDS for this project. The entire Fantasy Fleet will mostly be built with parts from this kit. As for the nose cones, I have access to a woodshop and I will carve them from scratch. The NCs on the BT is one that came with the EDS, I think it looks cool and may use it on the Taurus.

I am planning on using metallic foil board for the mid section and the transitions. I am going to experiment with this B4 final assembly.

I also did the Vulcan, but had to change it a bit! The nose cone shown in the picture is not the one I finally used.

vulcan.jpg

Fantasy fleet in the making... the scratch built lower transition is also a baffle

here are a series of compressed doctored pictures of the original Vulcan patterns. I did these so that i could print them and glue them under the fins to make the Vulcan look cool...

here is one with new cockpits. Under the cockpits is the pattern to cover the inside of the body that is past the bulkhead

here is the body of the Vulcan, same as the original but with other versions of the standard cockpit. these are compressed versions of the originals that I have. Interested? PM me and I will send them to you via email.

Here is the Taurus with the Estes Sidewinder NC and with a plastic boat tail. I think the NC looks cool but do not know about the boat tail...

Originally posted by mikeyd
I also did the Vulcan, but had to change it a bit! The nose cone shown in the picture is not the one I finally used.

It definitely looks different and cool. Have you flown your Vulcan? I am planning on placing the LL inside the rocket instead of inside one of the fins. The LL should come out right by the NC at the bottom, just slightly to the left or right of the engine lock. At the launch pad it should look straight and not crooked. Any recommendations there?

Back