• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Centuri/Estes Mercury Capsule Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok you Project Mercury scale fans... Your time has come. I'm attempting to create a fairly accurate representation of the Centuri/Estes Mercury capsule. Specifically, the all plastic, injection molded kit.

I don't have one here to draw from, and surprisingly enough, I wasn't able to locate any really easy to find dimensional drawings of the actual kit parts (or really good ones of the actual capsule that I don't have to pay for).

So, if one of you could create a dimensional drawing of the kit's capsule, I'll create an .ork for it to the best of my abilities. And here's an updated sample of the capsule based on a 1mm=1 inch scale.

NASA Project Mercury Capsule 1mm to 1in Scale (approx).jpg

Attachments

• NASA Project Mercury Capsule 1mm to 1in Scale (approx).ork
    1.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If the new Estes kit would work, and you tell me what the hell you're up to, I may be persuaded to open my kit and grab the calipers...

If the new Estes kit would work, and you tell me what the hell you're up to, I may be persuaded to open my kit and grab the calipers...

The new kit will work. I've got a whole bunch of .ork files for popular rockets. Perhaps you've seen some of them? I'm looking to add the MR to the lineup.

Mind you, the escape tower is beyond OR's abilities to accurately recreate, but IMHO it's already better than the .rkt file I've seen for the MR.

Last edited:
Been a heck of a week. I'll try to remember to get the info to you this weekend.

tonimus and I worked on this yesterday...

Estes Mercury Redstone (1921) (capsule draft).jpg

I've still got more stuff to do to it to make it presentable... Oh, one thing I forgot to ask... how long is the shoulder of the capsule, and it's diameter? You'd think I'd have asked that and got it answered, but nope... too caught up in the moment to get the rest of the info.

Thanks Tony!

Also I'd like to give a shoutout to bobby_hamill for his contribution to the project! Can't wait to get it!

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
Back