Centuri - Egg Crate (KC-11 or #5071) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Welcome to the Centuri Egg Crate (KC-11 or #5071) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Egg Crate (KC-11 or #5071) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Egg Crate: KC-11 or #5071

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Egg Crate (KC-11 or #5071) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Egg Crate Also known as:

NUMBER: KC-11 or #5071

Introduced: 1971
Final Year: 1971
Designer:

Type: Cluster, Payload, Egglofter
Motor Mount: 2x18mm or 3x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 20.3"
Diameter: 2.04"
Span:
Weight: 3.25 oz

Mfg. Description: Designed for competition egg lofting events, the EGG CRATE is a heavy duty payload rocket with lots of power. Kit contains all parts to build either a two or three engine cluster mount. the "slip in" engine mount is complete with quick change engine locks. Easy to construct, the EGG CRATE is a big, impressive model. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-egg%20crate%20kc11-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-egg%20crate%20kc11-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my vintage Egg Crate before it's first launch in ? years. This rocket was built in the early 70's by one of my dad's work colleagues and his son (about 10 years older than me). I got his collection as "hand-me-downs" in the mid-80s. This rocket was broken/ripped right where the paper adapter joined the payload section to the main body so I never flew it as a kid. Fast forward to this year, my sons are finally old enough to participate in my BAR experience, so I grabbed the rockets from my folks' house and have been "restoring" them over the summer. As you can see in the pic I replaced the paper adapter with a BR-1620F reducer from SEMROC and painted it black.

This was my first cluster launch and it went off without a hitch (sans egg for the test flight). Used 2 B6-4s. Only issue I had was I had the parachutes swapped (20" on the empty payload section, vice the 16") and the payload section drifted over a quarter mile. Luckily the field I launched from had plenty of room (landed 30 yds short of the adjacent woods). Looking forward to launching this one again with an actual egg.
IMG_20130824_183524.jpg

Semroc's Retro-Repro of the Centuri Egg Crate. Great kit to build and it comes with two interchangeable motor mounts. One that acommodates two 18mm motors and one 24mm mount. Easy-peazy to swap.

Egg Crate.jpg

I have an original egg crate from 1971 built it with my dad in 71 or 72 wow did not realize it was that old. will try and down load a pic some day it is old and the paint is not good anymore structurally I think it would still fly I honestly don't remember ever launching it. kind of sad.

PYRO1962

Back