Centuri BT60 Vulcan Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My Vulcan 60 came out to paly today, maily because somebody else wanted to see it fly. I was running short of 29mm motors and used a Roadrunner G80-7. That made for an exciting experience.

The rocket did not take off immediately but then shot up, wagging its tail the worst its ever done. Still it flew OK. The problem was with the ejection.

I expected a late ejection. It was very late. I thought the rocket was a goner but then it ejected about 30 off the ground and recovered safely.

A video can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3374971088/

v60-f1.jpg

v60-f1b.jpg

The Vulc 60 was supposed to have flown at an exhibition done for the kids of my church a few weeks back but the Copperhead igniters just would not cooperate. On Saturday, I replaced the Copperhead with a First Fire and set it up with the F42-4 I had been unable to expend at the church.

Vulc-60-f1a.jpg

Vulc-60-f1b.jpg

Vulc-60-f1c.jpg

The rocket leaped off the rod in a flash and started exhibiting some of the corkscrewing that is usually associated with the smaller members of the breed. I've seen a lot of that with my small Vulcans but not so much with the larger ones.

Vulc-60-f1d.jpg

Vulc-60-f1e.jpg

Unlike in its previous outing, this time the chute deployed at a reasonable time and everything came back down fine.

Vulc-60-f1f.jpg

Vulc-60-f1g.jpg

Vulc-60-f1h.jpg

Vulc-60-f1i.jpg

Vulc-60-f1j.jpg

I entered this rocket in the Classic Upscale competition at the 2012 DARS Fall Classic. I paired it with my Centuri Vulcan clone. It has not flown since 2009.

I loaded it with an F20-4 and took it out to the pad.

Vulc-60-f1-a.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-b.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-c.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-d.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-e.jpg

The motor was an old one so I figured it might be hard to light. I took a file to the slot before loading it but that did not prevent the chuffing.

Vulc-60-f1-f.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-g.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-h.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-i.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-j.jpg

I thought it was going to chuff all day!

Vulc-60-f1-k.jpg

But it finally ignited and started up the rod.

Vulc-60-f1-l.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-m.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-n.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-o.jpg

It started off straight, unusual, as I remember it.

Vulc-60-f1-p.jpg

But things soon got back to normal as it started to wag its tail.

Vulc-60-f1-q.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-r.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-s.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-t.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-u.jpg

As soon as thrust ceased, it pretty much stopped and started heading back down.

Vulc-60-f1-v.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-w.jpg

Ejection, when it finally occurred, was just a few dozen feet above the ground. It seemed like millimeters instead of feet.

Vulc-60-f1-x.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-y.jpg

Two eager young scouts then saved me from the dreary fate of walking a few dozen yards to retrieve it.

There was no damage.

Vulc-60-f1-z.jpg

Vulc-60-f1-za.jpg

The Vulcan 60 was then returned to the display table for public voting. I don't think it got any.

Vulc-60-f1-zb.jpg

Back