Centuri - Black Widow (KB-6 or #5036) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
Another of my older models, a Centuri Black Widow built in the 1990s from the original kit.

20110810_Centuri_BlackWidow_r2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just complemented another rocket modeler on their choice of rockets that they build—you're in that same catagory. You could pick out kits for me to build any time.

The Black Widow is very nice. Great paint. How'd you get the arc's in the white?

BTW, mailing today.

So, do the boosters glide as advertised?:cool:

Mine had a very nice glide........ but on the second launch fried the coupler and I lost the sustainer. All fixed and ready to go..... this picture was when I originally finished it......

Picture 001a.jpg

I've just complemented another rocket modeler on their choice of rockets that they build—you're in that same catagory. You could pick out kits for me to build any time.

The Black Widow is very nice. Great paint. How'd you get the arc's in the white?

BTW, mailing today.

Thanks:eek: I actually haven't been too active lately and am trying to get my rocket mojo back.

White is Trim Monokote: build thread here:
https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=232&page=1&pp=10&highlight=black+widow

Drew

Welcome to the Centuri Black Widow (KB-6 or #5036) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Black WIdow and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Black Widow: KB-6 or #5036

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Black Widow (KB-6 or #5036) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Black Widow

KB-6 or #5036

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Sport, 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x18mm/1x18mm
Recovery: glide/Parachute
Stages: 2
Length: 15"
Diameter: 0.76"
Span:
Weight: 1.3 oz

Mfg. Description: Simple enough for the beginner to build and launch, yet advanced in function and design. Using the B.8-0 and B.8-6 engine combination, this "bird" has flown to well over 1,500 feet. The unusual "first stage" or "booster" glides slowly back to earth after separation. Sure-safe parachute recovery system brings the second stage safely back to earth, ready for another flight. (Centuri 1964 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog

=====

Simple enough for the beginner to build and launch, yet advanced in function and design. Using the B6-0 and B6-7 engine combination, this "bird" can fly to well over 1,500 feet. Its unusual "booster" glides slowly back to earth after separation, while the second stage continues to climb. Parachute recovery system brings 2nd stage safely back down to be flown many times. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

Simple to build yet features advanced design. Unusual "booster" glides slowly back to earth after separation, while the second stage continues to climb. Positive sustainer ignition is insured by Centuri's new Pass-Port Staging System. Second stage is recovered by parachute. Special "BLACK WIDOW" decal is included. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-black%20widow-1962%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1962 Catalog
centuri-black%20widow-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1964 Catalog

centuri-black%20widow-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1967 Catalog
centuri-black%20widow-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1968 Catalog

centuri-black%20widow-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-black%20widow-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-black%20widow-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-black%20widow-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog
centuri-black%20widow-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

Facecard
centuri-black%20widow-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header
centuri-black%20widow-instr.jpg
centuri-black%20widow-instr%202.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Here's my Black Widow clone, finished in the 1971 catalog scheme. I've flown this 3 times, and the coupler gets shorter each flight! It is probably good for one more flight before it'll need repair. My booster does glide, but not for very long.

BlackWidow01.jpg

Back