Centering rings.....Why?

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by kuririn, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Oct 1, 2018 #1

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

Don't you find it frustrating that most vendors sell centering rings in assortment packs or multi packs of 6, 10, or 12, when all you need is 2? The centering rings stash in my parts bin is growing logarithmically. And I always check to make sure I don't have a particular size before ordering. Jonrockets is one of the few vendors that allows you to buy individual CRs, but they only carry standard BT sizes.
    I have my CRs bagged and labelled, but I don't think I'll be able to use them all in my lifetime.

IMG_20180930_202703.jpg

Am I the only one with this problem?

2. Oct 1, 2018 #2

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

I could really use some CRs (and engine hooks), I'll take any you want to send my way. ;)

3. Oct 1, 2018 #3

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

Sizes? And I assume you'll pick up the shipping? But I'm keeping my engine hooks, you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands!:D

4. Oct 1, 2018 #4

JonathanOtt

JonathanOtt

JonathanOtt

Got any 3.9"-54mm?

Jon

5. Oct 1, 2018 #5

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

Take a look at which forum this thread is posted under.

Speaking of which, I was just about to place ANOTHER order for CRs but was wondering if anybody had a pair of 58-80 rings they would like to exchange for something I have? PM me if interested. Worth a shot, anyway.

6. Oct 1, 2018 #6

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

For LPR, I just get mine out of the recycling bin, just print one up on copy paper or cardstock and glue stick it to cardboard.
    And engine hooks too, they come from the old wiper blades.

http://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=RINGS

an idea for the extras: baffles or laundry shelves, maybe?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  7. Oct 1, 2018 #7

JonathanOtt

JonathanOtt

JonathanOtt

oops...in my defense, I don't think I clicked it from inside the forum, but from the "new posts" at the bottom...I think...I click around so haphazardly. :)

8. Oct 1, 2018 #8

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

jlabrasca

https://www.straightdope.com/column...come-10-to-a-pack-while-buns-are-8-to-a-pack/

If something goes wrong, you have a spare or two. If something doesn't go wrong, well now you've got rings that need a piece of airframe and a nosecone...

I would guess that the cost of mfg. for centering rings is low, and the cost of shipping increases very slowly with the number of rings so that it is more cost-effective to package up standard lot sizes than it would be to pull and pack individual rings.

I tend to over-order raw materials and components, because I sometimes make mistakes and it is better to have and not need, than to jump and down and throw things because you stripped the cap on the last 4 x 0.75 screw in the bag. I've got a bin of sheet metal pieces left over from projects that I expected to screw up more badly than I did, and I have more kinds of odd-sized fasteners than I have sortimo compartments into which to sort them.

edit: reduced the gibberish content

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  9. Oct 1, 2018 #9

jadebox

jadebox

jadebox

Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

That's true. It is also an issue of size. It is much more work for us to fill orders with small items such as individual centering rings. Think of how much more difficult it would be to count and bag individual M&Ms verses just grabbing one bag already filled with M&Ms.

We have continued to sell most parts individually, though, because we have some customers that prefer it. As we increase the number of each item that we have on-hand, though, we are starting to offer "bulk packages" with a small discount over the individual price.

Hmm ... I suddenly have a craving for M&Ms.

-- Roger

10. Oct 1, 2018 #10

Cody Webster

Cody Webster

Cody Webster

I like having backups of as many parts as possible, never know when you will need that random part when scratchbuilding.

11. Oct 2, 2018 #11

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris

I'm really low on BT-60 to BT-50... In fact, I'd love anything that adapts to BT-50. If you've got a BT-70 to BT-60 I'd love those too.

Thanks!
    Jim

12. Oct 2, 2018 #12

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

Jim,
    The common sizes have been mostly used up. It's these odd sizes that seem to be proliferating. I use two for a build then I have four that I'll never use again. Anyway, I have 4x 5-50 crs and 1x 60-70 cr. Send me a PM with your name and address if you're still interested, you can pay me for the shipping after you receive them. BTW still looking for 58-80 crs for a 1/100 Saturn 1B build. Erockets only sells them in a 6 pack.

13. Oct 2, 2018 #13

Andrew_ASC

Andrew_ASC

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd

Exactly why I like minimum diameter rockets, centering rings not required. It solves your overstock issue by not needing to order that six pack.

Guess you could make a couple dozen cluster builds and still not use up all the rings you got lol.

14. Oct 2, 2018 #14

solid_fuel

solid_fuel

solid_fuel

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

15. Oct 2, 2018 #15

cerving

cerving

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry TRF Supporter TRF Sponsor