centering rings, fundraising for TARC 2005 with

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hey all. Okay, so here's the deal. My new TARC team for next year's competition needs some money for summer testing. We're low on cash, but have thought of a wonderful idea (or atleast we think it is). Our plan is to sell customized centering rings (maybe fins if you all want them) for a low price. Everything will be cut with a CNC table router, accurate to .001 of an inch! You tell us what you want, and we can cut it! Bulk plates, cluster motor mounts, different diameter motor cuts, any fin shapes, etc.

As of now we only have one material, 3/16 birch plywood. If there is another material you all wood like, just let us know! I'm not sure what the high power guys and gals like.

If you need something larger, we can do it, just let us know what you want. Please don't let the prices deceive you, we are hard working perfectionists. We will accept PayPal, money orders, and checks.

Email to [email protected] for orders!

We will soon have a web page if the rings or fins get popular!

This is fantastic! :)

A great idea and I commend you and hope you and your team raise the needed funds. You are providing a needed service and needed funds all at the same time.

congrats and good luck!

They have great customer service. I e-mailed them with some questions and they got right back to me and even offer to send a couple samples out to me. It looks like I am going to be using them for some of our needs.

I wish them all of the best luck that this works out for them and who knows this could work for long term to.

Hey all! Thanks for the positive feedback! Okay, we've added some different materials for the rings and fins!

1/2" medium density fiberboard (not sure if anyone uses) - $4.50 up to 8 inches (email for larger sizes!)

1/2" sanded plywood - $5.25 up to 8 inches (email for larger sizes!)

I'll be heading down to Michael's later, hopefully today, to check out the aircraft wood they have. I'm sure that's more popular than our current selection!

For larger stuff, email me at [email protected] We can cut any sized ring you need! Really, the machine can handle up to 72 inches in width!

And just to prove to everyone our workmanship quality, I will be willing to mail anyone of you all a free BT-80 centering ring with 3x 18mm mounts and 1x 24mm mounts! Let me know!

Thanks,
Matthew

Originally posted by rocketsonly
And just to prove to everyone our workmanship quality, I will be willing to mail anyone of you all a free BT-80 centering ring with 3x 18mm mounts and 1x 24mm mounts! Let me know!

Can ya make it two so we can build something out of it? :p

I also e-mailed Matthew when I read this asking him about some centering rings for my 8" dia. project. He got right back to me telling me that he would research the available 1/2" plywood sheet at Home Depot. He then told me that he found the two types that he stated above, and that he would make the rings for me for a low price - a lot less than anywhere else I've seen.

I have yet to pay him for my rings - so I am going to pay him this Wednesday - then we'll see how good the rings are, eh? I have good expectations, and am willing to support their TARC team.

Jason

So today we cut our first rings for two customers! We also shipped right afterwards :)

As for the free sample ring, I did have other plans for it... But I guess nobody could do much with a single ring! Okay, I'll make it two rings! But so far I've only got one person interested, I would rather have a small group of you all, I'll say the first 6 people to email me, and make a batch for you all. Keep the emails coming!

So at the meeting while we were programming the router to cut what we wanted (yes, believe it or not, a few of us have already learned how to program it!) we talked about possible domain names for our online store we do decide to ever expand! We thought of some funny websites, my favorite being osamabombsandstuff.com, but not because of the name, but because of the possible publicity! Just think about it, out website being broadcasted on national TV! Haha, jk, not only would that get us in trouble with the CIA and the FBI, but some people might take it as an insult and might not think it's funny. Oh well, scratch that idea.

By the way, would anyone care to donate some scrap pieces of spare body tubes or couplers from Giant Leap Rocketry, LOC, or Public Missiles? We will pay shipping if you want, maybe a little extra for the tubing as well (but remember we don't get much). We just need the samples to make sure all our cuts fit the tubes you all want it to fit! We only have the Estes tubes.

Thanks you all!
-Matthew

FINALLY, an accurate price lists! Check out our prices, and try NOT to drool on the keyboard ;)

We only have 3/16 and 1/2 birch plywood as of now, but can get 1/4 or 3/8 if requested.

I can't wait till our customers right reviews about our products!

Remember, we can cut and ship same day we receive payment, if we do get the payment by 11AM CST!

Thanks a bunch!

Hmm, I can't attach a Word document, I'll just copy and paste it:
About us and our machines:
About 2 years ago I remember watching a short broadcast on CNN about the Team America Rocket Competition (TARC). The competition sounded very cool, as well as very expensive. The over all price of the competition put the idea of entering it in the back of my mind. Not until recently was I talking with one of my science teachers when he mentioned our school was looking for a science competition that was available to high school students. I instantly remembered about TARC, and the dream of attending it was within sight. I soon after put a small team together, and got the head of my school’s science department to create a new course about rocketry in the ’04-’05 school year.
We as a team have been prepping for the competition next year by building a few simple rockets so that everyone can get familiar with model rocketry. We did encounter a problem though, we were just high school students with barely any money. We then devised a plan of selling custom cut rings and fins, an idea that was sparked by the ridiculously high prices of centering rings offered by other stores. We know we had the capabilities of making the same or even better quality centering rings and fins than the larger stores. One of the parents of a team member has gratefully taught some of the members on our team how to program his CNC table router, capable of cutting anything with a width of about 72 inches, to the .001 of an inch. Please remember, 100% of all our profits go towards our TARC project for the ’04-’05 competition.

How to read the price chart: All prices are for bulkheads or centering rings with one hole. Add 50 cents/additional hole for the 3/16” rings. Add 85 cents/additional hole for the ½”rings.

Materials:
3/16” – Birch Plywood
1/2" – 9-ply Birch Plywood

Ring Costs:
Material 1” 2” 3” 4” 5” 6” 7” 8” 9” 10”
3/16” $0.25 $0.60 $0.95 $1.30 $1.65 $2.00 $2.35 $2.70 $3.05 $4.40
1/2” $0.50 $1.00 $1.50 $2.00 $2.50 $3.00 $3.50 $4.00 $4.50 $5.00

Payment: We cut the same day payment is received (if payment is received by 11:30AM CST). If not, then we cut the next day. We accept PayPal ([email protected]), money orders, and checks (require clearing). Please add 50 cents if paying via PayPal to help cover some of the fees.

Shipping: All orders are carefully packaged and shipped the same day of cutting (if payment is received by 11:30AM CST). Checks require clearing before shipping. We try to accurately charge shipping, and are normally within 50 cents of the actual costs. Email for quotes.

Large rings and bulk discounts: Please email us ([email protected]) for quotes of larger rings or bulk discounts.

Guaranteed lowest price: Under the rare circumstances of finding cheaper centering rings, we will beat the price by 20%!

I just received my BT 80 with a 3 18mm cluster. All I can say is WOW!!!! They fit the tube prefect and the cluster is also prefect. We are looking at using these in a kit. We are also looking at using them for some of our fins. They are great on prices and the service is great. I am going to send some samples of the fins that I had cut by another vebder (not from here) and see what they can do. The price is a quite a bit lower then I am paying right now.

If you need centering rings or fins this is the place to get them.

Tom

Hey! Thanks so much for supporting our team! Everyone on the team is very glad that you like the rings!

So far we are one for one (1 customer happy, 1 customer total)!

I just received my BT 80 with a 3 18mm cluster. All I can say is WOW!!!! They fit the tube prefect and the cluster is also prefect. We are looking at using these in a kit. We are also looking at using them for some of our fins. They are great on prices and the service is great. I am going to send some samples of the fins that I had cut by another vebder (not from here) and see what they can do. The price is a quite a bit lower then I am paying right now.

Hey Mr. Priest, would it be okay if we use your quote on our webpage?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back