Center of Pressure in Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScienceC

Reaction score
I have been trying to calculate the Center of Pressure of a model rocket with and without fins using open rocket. However, whenever I take away the fins the center of pressure seems way too low. I calculated the CP to be 9.22 inches by hand (by using the areas and distances of a 2D cross section), however open rocket has been telling me its 2.09 inches, which doesn't seem right. I'm brand new to this software so is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chase

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 5.56.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 5.56.10 PM.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 150
Thanks, I did not notice that! However, I changed it to M=0 and I am still getting the same value. Is there something else that I am doing wrong?

It's possible the speed of measurement is indeed an issue. In general, I find OR gives weird results when there are no fins. I don't understand the details of the Barrowman equations to know why. Again, maybe that M=0.3 contains the answer.

I'm not sure whether or not OR will let you plot a sim result without a motor selected. Pick an MMX and plot static vs. dynamic CP? Just spitballing here.

I calculated the CP to be 9.22 inches by hand (by using the areas and distances of a 2D cross section)
Did you use the 2D area of the body tube in your calculations? Classic Barrowman calculations neglect the body tube because "For small angles-of-attack less than 10 degrees, the force on any cylindrical body portion is so small it can be neglected" [quote from Centuri technical report TIR-33]. I haven't read the OR technical paper in a long time, so I'm not sure if they are using the direct Barrowman equations, or some modification like RockSim uses.

The cutout balance method is much more conservative than Barrowman. You shouldn't expect them to produce the same answer.

Back