Cellulose Insulation Wadding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssthor

Reaction score
Long time viewer, first time post.

I live in Orange County California and have searched all over for Cellulose insulation with zero results. A common response from shop employees is "we no longer carry that type of insulation."

It will be highly appreciated if someone can direct me to a place in the area that has the wadding or a web site that it can be purchased from.

Thanks in advance.

:cool:

Hello. Welcome to the Rocketry Forum. Cellulose Inulation is a great wadding. Anyway, if you have a Home Depot in California, call around. The stores that rent insulation blowers will carry it. However, not all the stores rent them.

Glad to have you join us, ssthor!

I would offer to ship some of this to you from Texas except the shipping charge would make the cost ridiculous.

Maybe you can find a friend from another state who is already planning a road trip to your area, and who could be persuaded to first stop by his local home improvement store?

If you absolutely cannot find this stuff anywhere else, PM me sometime with a mail address and I will send you a small sample so you can evaluate the stuff. It might be good for you to see if you can even use the stuff for your application before you go through heck to get yourself a bale of the stuff?

Originally posted by ssthor
Long time viewer, first time post.

I live in Orange County California and have searched all over for Cellulose insulation with zero results. A common response from shop employees is "we no longer carry that type of insulation."

It will be highly appreciated if someone can direct me to a place in the area that has the wadding or a web site that it can be purchased from.

Thanks in advance.

Balsa Machining has 1 gallon bags for $2.50.
https://balsamachining.com/catalog.htm
Very bottom entry.

I've found Cocoon brand cellulose wadding at Lowe's. I looked at the bag and Cocoon has a website at www.cocooninsulation.com. with a 1-800 customer service number for "finding a local retailer. "

If you can find it, it should cost about $7 to $8 for a two cubic foot bale. I've packed about ten gallon-size or larger plastic bags of the stuff and have only made a dent in the bale.

Unless you fly 5" and larger rockets, one bale will last years.

Good luck

George
NAR 83277

P.S. Some larger launches like LDRS and our latest Dragon's Fire Tripoli Pittsburgh launch had bales available for everyone to use

Be careful when you buy this stuff. It multiplies. I bought a block
of it many years ago. I grab a chunk of it now and then, but the block
doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. :D

Since you're in Orange County, are you planning on attending the SCRA
launch at Lucerne Dry Lake this coming Sunday? I can bring you a
bag of insullation if you'd like. I can't get rid of this stuff.

--Greg

Thanks for the guidance.

I ended up calling Green Fiber (maker of cocoon) and had them direct me to a retailer in my area. The only retailer in Orange County was a Lowes in Anaheim (Lemon st. and 91). I purchased a bail for $8.58 out the door. For those interested, they had plenty (30-40).

Thanks again!

Back