Cell phone provider - who do you use, how much per month?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xfinity Mobile. Runs on the Verizon network. 2 lines, 10 gig, $65 a month. (We have Xfinity cable and internet as well, separate bill).

Google Fi here. Three phones end up being $62/month with all taxes and fees, then $10/GB for the data we use, which isn't much. Having to pay for what we use has curbed useless browsing away from wifi.

Coverage is meh. Definitely not Verizon or AT&T quality despite using Sprint, T-Mobile and US cellular networks.

Had T-Mobile for almost 17 years.
Costs $65 Unlimited
Magenta Max 55+
1 line

Got a free year of Apple TV+,Paramount+, and get Netflix

Verizon Wireless & Jailbroken Firestick - 6 iPhones, wireless home internet, and every TV channel on the planet (and all the pay channels) & every movie ever made, under $200 a month.

My mother-in-law (MIL) uses Tracfone, and it has been sufficient for her needs.
FYI - Tracfone was splitting its customer base across AT&T and Verizon wholesale accounts. Now that they had been bought out by VZ, all lines are being converted to VZ SIMs and phones. Lower-end phones rarely get full frequency bands' coverage for both carriers (unlike iPhones), so MIL got a new phone with a new VZ SIM. Activation has been anything but smooth, and Tracfone customer support has been neither expedient nor helpful.

Excellent point about the frequency bands, learned this one the hard way. There are at least two different sets of radios used in the cell phone network, and if you get the wrong radio, you won't be able to connect or even activate the phone in your local market.

Suggest anyone going the burner route, you should probably buy that phone from a local big box retailer and not from Amazon, as it can be really hard or impossible to tell what radios or network you are getting, as the manufactures do sell the same phone model with radio A, B, or both with the same name and model number.

Tracfone, $200 for a year of unlimited talk & text, plus 10 GB data that I rarely use. In fact I use the phone primarily as an MP3 player while exercising and for texting. I only get about (literally) two or three real calls per month on the cell; most calls still go through our landline.

Spectrum - $14.99/month/gigabyte. For two lines, my old iPhone 6s plus a new iPhone SE phone and service for an Apple Watch for my wife it’s about $49/month. It’s much less expensive than the same combination was on Verizon, but we see an occasional hiccup. When I was at Black Rock last year I couldn’t call or text home. I could call or text Dale or Burl, who were right next to me on the playa, but it appeared I couldn’t call anyone farther who wasn’t on the same tower.

Back