CBS's Walter Cronkite dies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n5wd

Reaction score
CBS just announced that Walter Cronkite, the broadcaster who so many of us watched through the various space missions, including the Moon landing discussed in a thread here on TRF, died today in New York City. He was 92.

RIP Mr Cronkite, and thanks for tellinging 'the way it is'.

Another iconic figure from my youth gone! :( He was truly a giant in the field of broadcast journalism. And back when there were only three networks, Walter Cronkite played a huge role in presenting our world to us every evening. He (and the other news anchors) could have easily abused that power, but he didn't. He was a straight-up guy, whose dedication to the truth never faltered. Farewell, old friend.

MarkII

I will be honest its very interesting hearing about the lives of alot of these people. Being I am 16 I will remember the Death of Ed McMahon and Micheal Jacksin and Farrah Fawcett etc. Its going to be interesting over the next 5 years all of the older icons are getting up there in age and I do enjoy hearing the storys and Bios

Ben

The first and last journalist I ever trusted... sad...

The stuffed shirt wannabes on TV nowdays could never hold a candle to good ol' Walter... Sad too that men of his caliber, that were a genuine credit to their profession, are gone. But, then again, the good things about the country that they stood for is gone and forgotten too...

"And that's THE WAY IT IS!" Rest in Peace!

OL JR :)

He was and always will be the voice and face I recall most vividly from my youth in watching the Apollo missions..And from newscasts we would watch during dinner time..We always knew that if Walter Cronkite said it was so, it WAS.

Walter was definitely the "voice of the space program."

Until the mid-to-late 1960s, the only TV station we could get clearly was a CBS station, so I never had much choice when I was a little kid. We started to get other stations in about 1968, just the time Apollo was really starting to heat up; by then it only sounded "authentic" if Walter Cronkite delivered the news.

Back