Caveman rocketry Nike-X and Big bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_taylor

Reaction score
hi
i got these 2 kits today and will start construction tonight, they are both 18mm kits and the look good one thing i really like is the ply CR's that by the black edges are laser cut, I'm going to build the nike-X stock but i was thinking of modifying the big Bertha does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
matt

Put a 38mm mount in it fiberglass it and send it up on a J!

haha just kidding. You could build it strong and fly it on AT D's or put a 24mm in it and fly it on BP D's...either way it should be good.

or you could cluster it

there are tons of things you could do

i have thought about put 2 18mm in it or if that doesnt work ill out a 24mm. btw its BT60 if thats any help

thanx
matt

I modified a Big Bertha for Estes E9. It goes forever on that motor!

Holy smokes....that is one big, big birtha!!...I was only joking...but it is cool. That motor is almost as big as the rocket!

You could do that and fly it on Pro38s too

I think that Fiberglassing the balsa would be iffy. I think Fiberglassed Plywood would be much better.

ill try the balsa and see what its like.
yes both kits came with decals and the instructions are ok the english is not that good but other than that its good well worth the price

matt

matt,

Caveman Rocketry is currently in litigation with Estes on the Big Bertha...and the rest of their "clones".

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
matt,

Caveman Rocketry is currently in litigation with Estes on the Big Bertha...and the rest of their "clones".

sandman

I'm assuming copyright issues?

i did notice on the big betha decals that there was the Estes logo
i won these kits on ROL auctions as a end of line sale as well
ill post some pics tonight now its time to get sticky with epoxy and fiberglass 8oz on the fins 6oz on the body tubes
this thing will take a 38/480 motor
(mods you might want to move this to HPR)

matt

Originally posted by matt_taylor
hey Ryan i might just do that
look at this link on EMRR https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon6/big_bad_bertha.html
i have 38mm tube but no G10 do you think if i fiberglass the balsa with 6oz glass will work??

matt

Hey,

I though Marv's (marvSRG) BIG Bertha was crazy and all it had was a single grain Pro38 G69 in it! It Woah. It still reached over 4900 feet at just under mach (mach .8). I'm sure he (and our prefect) would get a kick out of that link!

-Chris H.

lol we im doing i plan to fly it on a H123W
in a few weeks time ive fiberglassed the body tubes and the fins
i didnt take any pics as everyone knows what a fiberglassed body tube looks like
im thinking of building a Ebay in the nose cone to hold a Radio transmiter

matt

I say go with a 29mm motor mount. Then you can go with single use motors and not worry about losing motor cases. I've seen one go on a G80. That was cool!:)

Back