Cats or Dogs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cats or Dogs?

• Total voters
Trying to figure out how to get to the pump house I mixed moms laundry bottle with a tablespoon of ammonia and filled the rest with water. The dogs hit the fence. I used two quick pumps on spray, not stream. The dogs were hit with the cloud and quickly retreated under the porch. I was able to do what I needed to do unmolested. Anytime I walked by after that they went and hid under their porch.
Whenever I have thought of dog evasion devices I always think of sirens but it sounds to me like your method is a winner.

I love both, but neither love me. Or my body's defenses don't want me to love them. I'm allergic to both, but more so to cats. I lived with cats in denial for a number of years, but after coming down with pnuemonia and bronchitis multiple times within a year, the doctor had a sit down with me and said "if you keep this up, you're going to someday reach a point where I can no longer help you." So no more cats, sadly.

I love both, but neither love me. Or my body's defenses don't want me to love them. I'm allergic to both, but more so to cats. I lived with cats in denial for a number of years, but after coming down with pnuemonia and bronchitis multiple times within a year, the doctor had a sit down with me and said "if you keep this up, you're going to someday reach a point where I can no longer help you." So no more cats, sadly.
I usually have itchy eyes and a runny nose after 12 hours of being in a house where a dog or cat resides, but have never knew that severe of a reaction could happen

CATS RULE. Keep your dogs away from me. Slobbering dumb animals. But whatever, each to their own. I dislike every dog I have ever met EXCEPT for Alaskan Huskies. For some reason, I connect with them... and they with me! They are great animals. All the rest? All the rest, keep them off my lawn. :p
Huskies are great.
As opposed to walking a slobbering stool filled canine EVERY DAY and picking it up... oh wait... you don't pick it up. Yeah like MOST dog owners. Time to unsub from this thread.
It seems that you are still lurking in the shadows.

Attachments

• 366EEDE3-CF50-4B3F-B664-7EF7D80A61B5.jpeg
    366EEDE3-CF50-4B3F-B664-7EF7D80A61B5.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
Always been a dog person.
Of course, that is based on my childhood. When I was young, being in the same room a cat had been in would get my allergies/asthma going.
Having the cat actually touch me would send me to the doctors for a shot so I could keep breathing....

Fortunately, I have outgrown that severe reaction, but still prefer dogs

Always been a dog person.
Of course, that is based on my childhood. When I was young, being in the same room a cat had been in would get my allergies/asthma going.
Having the cat actually touch me would send me to the doctors for a shot so I could keep breathing....

Fortunately, I have outgrown that severe reaction, but still prefer dogs
Now we have some dog people in the thread!

The gardeners are working on a neighbor's yard, our next door neighbor's dog is barking incessantly. Cats don't do that. Of course, you can't really play fetch with a cat... unless it's the dot on a laser pointer.

I'm allergic to cat dander and saliva. Not a problem, I just don't have a cat. Issue is the previous owner of my house had a cat and kept it in one of the back bedrooms. Cat was not too litterbox trained I guess because it missed alot and the drywall/concrete in one of the corners still smells like cat pee now and then when it's overly humid out. I've done everything I can to remove the smell from inside the house but the cats that roam the neighborhood can still smell it and decide they need to mark over it on the outside of my house. So every few days I have to hose down that corner of the house. I've started trapping them using cooked chicken and have-a-heart traps (trapped cats are pissed off and loud but not harmed in any way). When I catch one, I post in the neighborhood group that I caught it and post a picture. They have 2 days to come claim it or its going to the pound. Only ever had 1 person come get their cat and it was a 100% indoor cat that had escaped the day before. So far, 4 cats have gone to the pound. They're the lucky ones because there are a few large hawks and a pair of bald eagles that swing by now and then and I've seen them remove a few cats, rabbits and other small animals. I see foxes and coyotes walking down the street too.

I voted both, though I've primarily only had cats. They're lower maintenance and fit my lifestyle more. I really appreciate dogs though and would like to get one some day when I am better situated for one, perhaps in retirement (not as far away as I'd like).
Cats on the other hand, have been a constant in my life since I was a child. I won't say when that was, but bell bottom jeans were popular then. I have two feline owners now. Zoe, a 16 year old black shorthair female and Lynus, a long haired cream colored tabby male (about 5 years old). Which one specifically owns me at any given moment is entirely dependent on what part of the house I am in.

We currently have three cats and two dogs (and recently lost our third dog to bone cancer). We like both. But there are things cats just don't do.

Example 1) My wife and I try to walk 7000 to 10000+ steps every day. Saturday was a busy day and by evening my wife still needed to go for a walk. But it was after dark and we usually dont walk in the dark. So, she put on a reflective vest, harnessed Natasha, our German Shepherd, and headed out. I needed to go to bed, but I stayed up until she came home to be sure she was safe. She admitted that if she didn't have her mobile security system, she wouldn't have gone. Years ago, a similar thing happened when she wanted to walk the towpath with our then small children while I was at work. She wasn't worried about stranger danger with two 80 pound dogs beside her.

Example 2) This morning I went for a run and I took Natasha. Not because I needed to, but because she's three and she loves it. And yes, we had to make a couple of stops, and yes, Natasha always carries her own poop bags (and carries them home). People who don't clean up after their dogs are not "dog people ", they're just assholes. Natasha doesn't always run with me, but it does make my run a bit more interesting and fun when I have company.

The gardeners are working on a neighbor's yard, our next door neighbor's dog is barking incessantly. Cats don't do that. Of course, you can't really play fetch with a cat... unless it's the dot on a laser pointer.
Well one way to say it is many dogs use the maximum volume they can. Cats tend to use the minimum volume but I have heard of some very loud cats!

Example 2) This morning I went for a run and I took Natasha. Not because I needed to, but because she's three and she loves it. And yes, we had to make a couple of stops, and yes, Natasha always carries her own poop bags (and carries them home). People who don't clean up after their dogs are not "dog people ", they're just assholes. Natasha doesn't always run with me, but it does make my run a bit more interesting and fun when I have company.
I am often unhappy with many dog owners because they treat their dog like it is a cat and do not give it the attention it requires and do not clean up after their dog.

The gardeners are working on a neighbor's yard, our next door neighbor's dog is barking incessantly. Cats don't do that.

On the other hand, anyone who was even thinking about burglary also knows that there is a noisy dog in that house. It is well known that thieves simply prefer to find an easier target than to create a disturbance that the neighbors can hear, even with a small dog let alone one who can nearly look you in the eye through the front door window.

Bathing a cat is simple. You just need an inch or so of warm water in the tub, some mild shampoo, chain mail, and three pairs of welding gloves. :D

Best -- Terry, a cat person for mumble-mumble years
Actually, all you need is a single pair of welding gloves, a small amount of shampoo, a helper, and a toilet. You pour the shampoo in the toilet, put on the gloves, pick up the cat with its face away from the toilet. You have your helper stand by the toilet lid. When you shove your cat into the toilet bowl, your helper immediately closes and holds the lid. The cat will self agitate. To rinse the cat, just flush the toilet. When the cat is clean, just lift the lid. The cat will fly around the house several times without touching the floor, self drying its fur. A quick mopping to the bathroom floor and you're done.

This also results in an amazingly spotlessly clean toilet bowl.

Always remember, Dogs have masters, Cats are masters...
No, dogs have masters, cats are just stupid.
Actually that's NOT my opinion. A few years ago, some scientific research project was completed that proved this to be true. You cat lovers will have to do your own research to find the study.

And cats only see humans as warm blooded furniture. They don't purr in your lap because they love you, they purr when they are content. Its the same reason they sleep in the sunlight instead of in the shade in the house.

Our cats don't mind a bath at all. We have one Sphynx that has to be bathed weekly to remove the oil from its skin. They really like a bit more water as it is nice and warm under them while being washed. No welding gloves needed :) .

As I write this post, the score for cats and dogs is tied at 42.6%.

381621-180305-odie.PNG42328c6f-8c37-46de-a57d-f565b541723d.7b6d70b7ccdee02e87ed82175fd63c70.jpeg

Back