CATO!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
My 2.1" dia "Scale Kits" AMRAAM Aim-120 on a SU G40-7W at NYPower..
Shooting continuous..

Rocket was toast (pun intended!) and eventually trashed. The JL Altimeter II untouched, the JL Chute release was smoked, but still works (Thank God!!) Nomex blanket nicely blackened and the chute is crispy.

Looks like over-pressure at the top end of the case, probably a small hole or something.. There was a long crack in the case..

But still, a nice set of pics showing the eventual demise!

Filing a report with Aerotech tomorrow..

NYP2017_0893.JPG

NYP2017_0894.JPG

NYP2017_0895.JPG

NYP2017_0896.JPG

NYP2017_0897.JPG

NYP2017_0898.JPG

NYP2017_0932.JPG

NYP2017_0933.JPG

NYP2017_0937.JPG

OK, question:
I've filled out the MESS report.
And I bought the motor from Performance Rocketry. He took care of a replacement motor, and I assume he's taking care of the warranty side of things. Do I still need to file a report with Aerotech?
Should there be an expectation of a rocket (or portion thereof) replacement?

MMMMMMMMMMM, that must of been painful to watch! :shock:
Thankfully I haven't had a CATO in my 10 years in the hobby. :)
Thanks,

OK, question:
I've filled out the MESS report.
And I bought the motor from Performance Rocketry. He took care of a replacement motor, and I assume he's taking care of the warranty side of things. Do I still need to file a report with Aerotech?
Should there be an expectation of a rocket (or portion thereof) replacement?

Thanks for filling out the MESS report; S&T needs this information to keep track of problems.
It couldn't hurt to advise AT; I don't know if you can expect any replacement consideration but it's best to directly let manufacturers know when there's a problem with their product.

MMMMMMMMMMM, that must of been painful to watch! :shock:
Thankfully I haven't had a CATO in my 10 years in the hobby. :)
Thanks,

Painful yes. Amazing, also yes.. Really neat to watch!!

Andrew, it's only my 2nd in my 30+ years in the hobby! :D

It's not a matter "if", but "when"!

Thanks Jim, I did too.. And I had just glued in a motor retainer! And had hoped to push that bird up to new heights on an H or little I!!

Painful yes. Amazing, also yes.. Really neat to watch!!

Andrew, it's only my 2nd in my 30+ years in the hobby! :D

It's not a matter "if", but "when"!

That's kinda the fun thing about this hobby- when it goes well, it's great- when it goes poorly, it's spectacular! (as long as on one is injured, of course).

Back