CATO September Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
The next CATO launch is scheduled for Saturday, August 21st, at the Durham field, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We have Large Model Rocket Notification to 4,000 feet AGL. Limits: 125g or less propellant and rockets must be no heavier than 3.3 pounds.

Flight fees: $5 (members); $10 (non-members). Kids fly free!

Onsite motor sales will be available

Directions

Hope to see you there!

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
The next CATO launch is scheduled for Saturday, August 21st, at the Durham field, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The September launch is in August.

This is the same club that if the launch day is rained out, they have a rain date of the day before.

There's some kind of science fiction thing going on here, and I like it.

I hope some CATO folks bring binoculors; I've got a mach buster to test. But you probably won't need them for the Mirage.

Is this the Mosquito on a J330 you were building?

I was at the meeting where we planned the launch schedule and my head still hurts from the logic.

Can't wait. Hope to test fly some new stuff.

For those that need any supplies, I'll be bringing some items but if there's something in particular you need, let me know in the next couple of days and I'll be putting up special orders.

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather!!:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Can't wait. Hope to test fly some new stuff.

For those that need any supplies, I'll be bringing some items but if there's something in particular you need, let me know in the next couple of days and I'll be putting up special orders.

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather!!:D

Bring a 3-clip whip for me. I have a couple clusters to test.

As of Tuesday PM, the ground was soft but not oozing water, though there were a few low spots with pooling still. Hopefully we won't get much more in the next 3 days.

I learned something today: if you're flying alone, don't fly a bird designed to come down in 3 pieces.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I can do that...would you like your name on it?

Sure, why not.

If we get rained out (or more likely, swamped out) I'll have you mail it to me. I may be gone before the next launch.

Well mother nature strikes again....

We are cancelled.

d00d! Major bummer.

T minus 8 h 17 m and nary a drop nor rumble.

In 12 hour increments, between last Wednesday and this morning, we had a cumulative chance of rain of 250%. I saw maybe five minutes of sprinkles (out of a clear sky, onto a model I thought was safe to paint) during that time. I think NWS is using Windows XP on their new weather prediction supercomputer.

I don't have anything truly HPR (the Mirage+ comes in just under 3 pounds loaded) but most everything interesting is over a pound. That means FAA.

Is the CATO waiver only for the launch dates on the schedule? If so, I don't mind getting some, if anyone else is interested in an alternate date before Sept. 18.

Unfortunately it's not the waiver. There is no bachkp dates for Durham since the field is booked at the beginning of the season. I am so torqued as I had eight brandy-new flights planned

Loc Cyclotron (38mmm CTI GG9)
LOC Viper 1V (4 x E9)
AT Mustang (F21)
AT Warthog (F21) - was going to drag race with John Rowan-Stern
AT G-Force (G80)
Edmonds ECEE Thunder (D12)
Thrustline Duster (C11)
Rocket Pad Lark (2 x C6)

I'm thinking about a jaunt to Metra on 9/4 - wanna join me?

Unfortunately it's not the waiver. There is no bachkp dates for Durham since the field is booked at the beginning of the season. I am so torqued as I had eight brandy-new flights planned

Loc Cyclotron (38mmm CTI GG9)
LOC Viper 1V (4 x E9)
AT Mustang (F21)
AT Warthog (F21) - was going to drag race with John Rowan-Stern
AT G-Force (G80)
Edmonds ECEE Thunder (D12)
Thrustline Duster (C11)
Rocket Pad Lark (2 x C6)

I'm thinking about a jaunt to Metra on 9/4 - wanna join me?

You'd said the field is open to the public. With a waiver anyone could show up and use it, nest say paw?

I had at least that many planned, including some EMRR stuff that needed pics. In fact I'd planned for my Wart Hog on an F21. Let's hang on to that thought.

I noticed Metra's Saturday launch is no longer EX only, so that sounds doable. Frankly it sounds like a better place to give my Mirage a shake down. I'll check with the boss.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
The September launch is in August.

This is the same club that if the launch day is rained out, they have a rain date of the day before.

There's some kind of science fiction thing going on here, and I like it.

I hope some CATO folks bring binoculors; I've got a mach buster to test. But you probably won't need them for the Mirage.

Hi Dynasoar:

I launched a mach buster design in 1997, It was a BT-50 design 14" long, carbon fiber glassed and super smooth finnish. It was designed to fly on 24mm motors. We flew it on a E motor, I forget the numbers. But, anyway, the thing is that your mach buster rocket will come off the pad so fast that you will not see it go.

When we launched ours I had to stand 2000 feet downrange from the launch to be able to see the whole flight from launch to apogee. The LCO said he never saw it once it left the pad.

I tracked it by sight followed it to the ground under a ten foot streamer... I had to walk 3/4 of a mile to retreive it.

As the rocket came off the pad it made a pop sound right at MAXQ (max velocity right at engine burnout). I thought it shredded but it was instantly, right up there, waaay up there, where the tracking smoke showed.

The chalk powder in the stramer gave the ejection away...

I have never seen a rocket move so fast in my life.
The temperature outside was 82 degrees F and that helped in making the speed so relevant.

My point is that had I not been downrange away from the launch pad before the launch I would never be able to tell you this story...

So be ready, use no chute, just a really long streamer and be far away at launch. If it really breaks mach then you will hear the pop or sound just before or after the motor stops thrusting...

That's my tip...

Enjoy.

Bruce

Originally posted by sundance120
Hi Dynasoar:

I launched a mach buster design in 1997, It was a BT-50 design 14" long, carbon fiber glassed and super smooth finnish. It was designed to fly on 24mm motors. We flew it on a E motor, I forget the numbers. But, anyway, the thing is that your mach buster rocket will come off the pad so fast that you will not see it go.

When we launched ours I had to stand 2000 feet downrange from the launch to be able to see the whole flight from launch to apogee. The LCO said he never saw it once it left the pad.

I tracked it by sight followed it to the ground under a ten foot streamer... I had to walk 3/4 of a mile to retreive it.

As the rocket came off the pad it made a pop sound right at MAXQ (max velocity right at engine burnout). I thought it shredded but it was instantly, right up there, waaay up there, where the tracking smoke showed.

The chalk powder in the stramer gave the ejection away...

I have never seen a rocket move so fast in my life.
The temperature outside was 82 degrees F and that helped in making the speed so relevant.

My point is that had I not been downrange away from the launch pad before the launch I would never be able to tell you this story...

So be ready, use no chute, just a really long streamer and be far away at launch. If it really breaks mach then you will hear the pop or sound just before or after the motor stops thrusting...

That's my tip...

Enjoy.

Bruce

Thanks for the tips. I did a shake down with an E9 and a chute, and you're right, streamer is the way to go. Probably mylar, for the flash.

Mine's 29mm (BT52?) and 39" and heavy paper with a heavy (but SMOOOTH) paint, so I figure it'll take probably a G to break Mach. But, I built the motor section to hold up to an Ellis H50 (11"), so I'll find its speed. I'm building a 38mm based on carbon, but will also go back and rebuild the 29mm as carbon also.

Not sure what the rules about being downrange at launch are at the place I plan on flying, but I'll definitely try. Thanks.

Back