CATO Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dad of Sapling

Reaction score
I have had this idea floating around my head for a awhile. Has anyone built a rocket where the body comes apart when the ejection charge fires? This would be LPR. What I'm envisioning is the nose cone would separate and the body would split in two longitudinally. All of the pieces would be connected by a length of cord and would come down on a chute. In my mind this would work although I'm not sure how stable it would be on ascent. Could this work or is this just ramblings of an over active imagination.?

I have had this idea floating around my head for a awhile. Has anyone built a rocket where the body comes apart when the ejection charge fires? This would be LPR. What I'm envisioning is the nose cone would separate and the body would split in two longitudinally. All of the pieces would be connected by a length of cord and would come down on a chute. In my mind this would work although I'm not sure how stable it would be on ascent. Could this work or is this just ramblings of an over active imagination.?

Something like Estes # 2071?

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-cato-donald-besaw-jr.html

I had one of these as a kid and it was super cool. I have recently picked up a couple more from sales/auctions, one that needs to be rebuilt and another that is new in packaging. I have been dreaming on ideas to clone/recreate this kit and sounds like a job for a 3d printer. The "disintegration" recovery is really cool to see.

Last edited:
You mean like this? I actually later used two pieces of black streamer to slow it down more. I have more pics and video, but lost at this time.

BreakawayACMESpitfire1b.jpg

WEC8.jpg

WEC6.jpg

...and yes. I did launch it with KenECoyote on board!

I just realized that you noted longitudinal axis, which would mean long split pieces and while that is rarer than latitudinally split (like above and Estes Wacky Wiggler), the aforementioned Cato and even a single staged Estes MIRV may qualify albeit not connected by cord and not all coming down on a chute (which probably isn't necessary since the break apart type rockets usually have enough drag coming down in pieces).

I'd say try to build one! 🙂👍

Back