CATO risk?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewomack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a few CATOs at local launches over the past year and, as everyone knows, they are not pretty, especially for the rocket. I have a rocket, one that I spent some decent time painting, that flew fantastically on a D engine, with a camera attached, and I'd like to to up the ante. So, I purchased the package of E engines pictured, but I soon started hearing rumors that they have a higher tendency to CATO. First, is there any truth to this and should I risk my paint job to get a higher and more spectacular flight out of the rocket? I would love to see footage of the same rocket flying with an E. Or would another brand's equivalent of E be a safer bet? Thoughts?

1602985503479.jpeg

At the last club launch, my Mega Mosquito was re-kitted by an overly energetic E 12-4. The launch before that, my Broad Sword almost fell victim to another E 12-4 from the same pack. (MESS reports filed, Estes warranty dept. notified)
From my personal experience, I've had more Estes E9's and E12's CATO on me than any other motor.
That said, I do believe it makes it a little bit more exciting.

1602998530380.png
Photo courtesy of Tony Vincent (tonypv) Thanks!

Last edited:
Our club occasionally runs Death Races where rocketeers bring E motor capable rockets they no longer care for and there is a mass launch on Estes E motors.

There are no winners because one of two things happen: You either Cato or you launch again until you do. Two launches usually does the trick.

Back to the OP.

Skip the Estes BP E-motors in your lovingly prepared rocket and use another brand (composite) motor. No guarantees but I have never experienced a cato with a non-Estes single use motor.

Aerotech single-use E motors are great. I won't fly E12s, personally, and don't even bother putting the longer motor mounts in my 24mm rockets (which is most of them) any more. The Aerotech Es fit in a D motor mount and will do what you want. As far as I know they are as reliable as any other motor.

Aerotech single-use E motors are great. I won't fly E12s, personally, and don't even bother putting the longer motor mounts in my 24mm rockets (which is most of them) any more. The Aerotech Es fit in a D motor mount and will do what you want. As far as I know they are as reliable as any other motor.
Totally agree! I flew a couple of AT Es and Fs after my E9/12 CATOs and they were great flights.

You have to remember that Estes sells thousands of these motors and there is a very small percentage of them that have an issue. If they were really that bad or unsafe Estes would have pulled them off the shelves years ago.

I have seen CATOs in everything from mini A10 motors all the way to H motors from Aerotech. Interestingly I’ve never had one myself that was motor related in 30+ yrs in the hobby. I’ve had rocket failures but that was not the motors fault.

I’ve flown close to a hundred of E9 and E12 motors without a single hiccup.

Send it....

Back