CATO of your rockets and engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaturnV

Reaction score
The CATO on "your" no CATO someone Atlas, Proton or shuttle.
I have 4 large CATO. One almost cost me my life. Аt the last moment I decided not to do video and I was away.
[video=youtube;mLXUQKYCOAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXUQKYCOAc[/video]
[video=youtube;ot-HHhuY-po]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-HHhuY-po[/video]
CATO test engine. Available in my theme in MPR rockets.
4. No video or pics.
I must say that I was surprised only CATO in engine test. Previous tests of the fuel showed extremely slow burning. Apparently clog the nozzle.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the videos!

#1 is interesting. Are those motor grains being dispersed in all directions? What was you motor case material?

Last edited:
There was a time before approval of AP that members of TRF were very careful not to use terms like explosion in conjunction with our hobby due to the NSA and other intelligence department screening of content. And even though AP is off of the ATF list now, explosion/detonation/etc. are probably still in the Terrorism cyber-screening category. The more acceptable term is CATO.
I edited, but not know how to edit the topic title.Where are you lists of banned words? They even criminals centuries ago invented a solution to this problem -Use jargon :)

I edited, but not know how to edit the topic title.Where are you lists of banned words? They even criminals centuries ago invented a solution to this problem -Use jargon :)

To edit the title go to the first post and at the bottom hit advanced edit and it will then show the title at the top for editing.

Yes, you are right, "jargon" is the correct term.

To edit the title go to the first post and at the bottom hit advanced edit and it will then show the title at the top for editing.

Yes, you are right, "jargon" is the correct term.

Done. But how is correct "CATO in or CATO of our rockets"? I changed it to "IN".

I would think that "of" is more correct. The term "CATO" is used as a verb, not a noun generally.
Edited. And what you do not have any good own CATO? Wernher von Braun has for several hundreds. Only those whoy did not own engine not experienced its sobering effect :) And those who use ready engines are not insured :)

Thanks for sharing the videos!

#1 is interesting. Are those motor grains being dispersed in all directions? What was you motor case material?
Yes, 4 grains. The engine was thick plastic tube. The reason for CATO was that pipe with thicker walls not hold. More never engine of plastic :)
But looking it seems to me that it was years ago :)
The reason for the second CATO was that in potassium nitrate was something else that made sugar fuel to burn abnormal. I knew it but I had no other potassium nitrate at the moment :) Too bad for the big rocket was charged with 1 kg of fuel and had a sensor apogee based LEDs which worked perfectly visible from the video :)Onboard camera also blind.Actually, it's interesting CATO. At the start the engine left without nozzle but rocket flew. But then the engine destroyed and the front side and flew to one side, and rocket to another .Material case engine was paper tube with tape drywall and epoxy.The pipe remained strong. Which can not be said for other engine parts.
I sincerely hope do not write more in this topic on the occasion of my new CATO :)
P.S.However, if there will not hide it. I am not ashamed of CATO For more than 80 launch all its own experimental engines 3 CATO think not much.(4 CATO is by fire engine test without rocket but it was the most dangerous)

Last edited:
Guys give more seriously, it is not shameful to have CATO. Mr. Werner von Braun, the best rocket designer of all times have several hundred :) Show your CATO. If someone tells me "I am 10 years dealing with rocketry and I have no CATO" he is not doing its own engine or probably lie :)CATO experience quite often professionals, what remains for us amateurs :)Rocket (engine) is a child who must to grow .CATO is not his death. This is a children's disease :)

Last edited:
Guys give more seriously, it is not shameful to have CATO. Mr. Werner von Braun, the best rocket designer of all times have several hundred :) Show your CATO. If someone tells me "I am 10 years dealing with rocketry and I have no CATO" he is not doing its own engine or probably lie :)CATO experience quite often professionals, what remains for us amateurs :)Rocket (engine) is a child who must to grow .CATO is not his death. This is a children's disease :)

It's OK. The previous post was not meant as a jab/joke directed at you, but I believe more toward FredA on TRF as one who tends to be very pedantic when it comes to rocket design and builds.

Honestly I did not understand anything.My idea was simple- You have video of your engine / rocket CATO- show :)

Honestly I did not understand anything.My idea was simple- You have video of your engine / rocket CATO- show :)

Yes, it's very easy to understand what you are looking for people to post. But there are way too many people on here that troll/bait threads of any topic, to say the least. I'll look for one and post it!

Preston

G64 Forward closure failure @ 240fps:

[video=youtube;_l8s_TYN_hs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l8s_TYN_hs[/video]

What causes the forward closure to fail in that casing , and is it common ?

Space Ark Jr. on a D12-5 back in the early 2000's:
SAJCATO_4506.jpg

SAJ_4507.jpg

It's OK. The previous post was not meant as a jab/joke directed at you, but I believe more toward FredA on TRF as one who tends to be very pedantic when it comes to rocket design and builds.

Pedantic?
I like that....
He still hasn't shown. Figured he had a search bot for the word "CATO".

Why is he so pedantic anyhow? Seems like all he offers is negative criticism, never constructive!

What causes the forward closure to fail in that casing , and is it common ?
I wouldn't say common, but it does happen occasionally with the more energetic reloads.
In my case I believe the motor overpressured, perhaps the igniter (copperhead) got bunched up in the nozzle.
For me the forward closure threads got stripped, I should contact AT about it one day. The case threads however are perfectly fine.
The 29/40-120 case has thin walls and fine threads so I think with higher pressures the case can expand slightly, reducing the thread contact area and ultimately they can't take the load and shear.

In the photo's at the end of my vid, you can see the grains got shot out of the case into the air. Unlike dixontj, mine were extinguished on exit. I kinda wish they were still burning like his, would've made for a much more speccy vid!

Edit:
Just did some comparing and measuring to make a liar of myself.
The 29mm Hobbline (40-120) is no thinner than the 29mm HPR cases.
The threads are also no finer, there are however far fewer of them, only about 3 full threads for the Hobbline, not really enough.
Left pic is compared to a 29 HPR Fwd closure, Right is the one that let go in the vid (black).
Before anyone asks, NO, I did not cross-thread the closure(I'm not an idiot ;) ), it went on smoothly.
IMG_4560.JPGIMG_4562.JPG

Last edited:
Back