CATO News and a Survey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who Will Own Super Bowl XLII!

• The Giants

• The Patriots

• The Giants

• The Patriots

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
So we had our annual club meeting last night and I was elected President. I only thought these things happened when you missed meetings....

So that said, I am starting a discussion group on Yahoo called RocketPresidents to discuss the efforts required to sustain and build a rocketry club without completyely consuming life.

or

How to run a rocketry club and still enjoy rockets

In it's initial incarnation it is a closed group and I'll approve members.

If you are a TRF member and ask to join, I will probably let you because most TF people are indeed rocketry people.

And now for the fun part of this message:

The survey....

I know nothing or running a rocketry club but I say congrats and I hope the work load isn't too heavy. Good luck :D

WOW congrats! So...any changes that you are thinking about implementing? Any ideas floating around that you would like to share?

Both congrats and commiseration are in order I think ;)

Whilst I've never been a club prez, I was secretary (and web master and editor and general dogsbody...) of UKRA for a while, so I've been "on the inside" and I think I know what's involved. My advice is to:

- Take the job seriously, but do it with humour.

- Remember you're there to serve rather than to exert power.

- Treat everyone equally, those that you like, and those that you don't like so much.

- Take the bouquets with grace and try not to take the brick-bats to heart.

Ultimately, serving in any position as a club official is a lot of work, but very rewarding - everyone should step up to the plate (did I get that right - I'm practicing my north american coloquialisms) at some time. It's one way of giving something back to the hobby.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by flying_silverad
WOW congrats! So...any changes that you are thinking about implementing? Any ideas floating around that you would like to share?

We still need a full time Secretary.....

However, here are some of the ideas already floating

1. We will return to a more NAR/contest friendly mode. I'd like to see at least one sanctioned contest at each launch. We will retain our Tripoli affiliation. However we have done so little EX, I think we should focus on what is of interest to our core membership.

2. The search for newere and better launch facilities will continue

3. My personal favorite is to continue community outreach. We need to sell rocketry to keep it alive. I don't want to see a launch without kids.

4. CATO will participate in NERRF (gonna be the premiere three day rocketfest in New England).

5. We will start looking into non-launch club meetings.

6. I want to work extensively with the other regional clubs to build rocketry.

7. I want to set a goal of 100 flights per launch day.

And I am open to ideas.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
We still need a full time Secretary.....

However, here are some of the ideas already floating

1. We will return to a more NAR/contest friendly mode. I'd like to see at least one sanctioned contest at each launch. We will retain our Tripoli affiliation. However we have done so little EX, I think we should focus on what is of interest to our core membership.

2. The search for newere and better launch facilities will continue

3. My personal favorite is to continue community outreach. We need to sell rocketry to keep it alive. I don't want to see a launch without kids.

4. CATO will participate in NERRF (gonna be the premiere three day rocketfest in New England).

5. We will start looking into non-launch club meetings.

6. I want to work extensively with the other regional clubs to build rocketry.

7. I want to set a goal of 100 flights per launch day.

And I am open to ideas.

Secretary?? Okay, what's the job description (Please PM or e-mail) I might be interested. But let me warn you...I don't wear hose.:D DOH!

We will start looking into non-launch club meetings. Very cool. Gives me more of a chance to make one.I want to set a goal of 100 flights per launch day.

I'll try for 10 of those!:D

Al,

Congratulations on your election. Some will say that being a club officer is a thankless job, that you'll be blamed for everything that goes wrong, etc. etc. I say that if you believe in the hobby, believe in the philosophy of "paying forward" and can put up with the hours and pay, its a rewarding thing.
Just remember the one rule that sadly never seems to change, 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Do all you can to involve everybody, but don't get discouraged if the majority do nothing other than complain.
I look forward to working with you and the others on NERRF.

Of course congrats! (Unless you were a write-in maybe.:p We'll have to re-visit this thread in 11-12 months to know for sure :)

Most Hobby Town stores have a small room used for gameing . They have allowed Tripoli ID to use it for the last 3-4 years at no charge.

Back