CATO (Connecticut) Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
The next CATO launch is scheduled for Saturday, June 19, at the Durham field, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We have Large Model Rocket Notification to 4,000 feet AGL.

Limits: 125g or less propellant and rockets must be no heavier than 3.3 pounds.

Very loud motors, i.e., F20s & F25s, will need permission from the officers to be flown. We have a "neighbor" who is a real pain.

Flight fees: $5 (members); $10 (non-members). Kids fly free! Click here for directions.

Hope to see you there!

:)

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
The next CATO launch is scheduled for Saturday, June 19, at the Durham field, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. We have Large Model Rocket Notification to 4,000 feet AGL.

Limits: 125g or less propellant and rockets must be no heavier than 3.3 pounds.

Very loud motors, i.e., F20s & F25s, will need permission from the officers to be flown. We have a "neighbor" who is a real pain.

Flight fees: $5 (members); $10 (non-members). Kids fly free! Click here for directions.

Hope to see you there!

:)

Al, was the launch there always ended at 3PM?

Actually it ends when enough people leave for us to call it quits. To my recollection, it has never lasted all the way to 3.

Actually it ends when enough people leave for us to call it quits. To my recollection, it has never lasted all the way to 3.

So I can stay till 5?:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
So I can stay till 5?:D

Only 5?

I was planning on packing dinner in.
I've got a couple dozen birds to test, a couple best done with few people around.

I'm certain if enough people stick around, we won't shut down. Has never been a problem in the past. The bigger problem has been getting people to stay that late and not leave the club officers stranded with a mess to clean up.

I'd love to have the "problem" of too many flights.

A

I'm certain if enough people stick around, we won't shut down. Has never been a problem in the past. The bigger problem has been getting people to stay that late and not leave the club officers stranded with a mess to clean up.

I'd love to have the "problem" of too many flights.

A

Well, I must admit, th last time I was in Durham I had to get out of dodge in a hurry (airport pick-up). But, (raising right hand) I swear that I will stay till the end...when the sun sets!! Count me in for clean-up...And, if I can tuck myself in the night before...before 2AM, I'lll be there to help set up.

Still can't seem to find that hidden switch that shuts the brain off...

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Well, I must admit, th last time I was in Durham I had to get out of dodge in a hurry (airport pick-up). But, (raising right hand) I swear that I will stay till the end...when the sun sets!! Count me in for clean-up...And, if I can tuck myself in the night before...before 2AM, I'lll be there to help set up.

Still can't seem to find that hidden switch that shuts the brain off...

Same here. I'll stay as long as it takes. I've got at least a dozen birds I have to test and photograph for EMRR reviews/MOPS articles, and others to just try out.

And, my other hobby is cleaning up. At pow wows I always volunteer for this. They call me Dances With Hefty's.

FIRE and SMOKE and WHOOOOSH.

Some minda luck I had thought. Everything old worked fine. Everything new fizzled. Bad luck with igniters or something.

The Semroc clone of Sky Hook flew beautiful on an A8-3. The Rock-A-Chute MkII was spectacular on a B6-4.

The Omloidimator got tired of being made fun of, and anti-weathercocked right off the rod, ehaded for the Rocket Eating Swamp, and promptly took my little black cotton Weasel chute with it into freedom.

The Sandman minimum diamater 3-cluster booster warped from the heat and was unlaunchable. I didn;t think it was possible for paper to warp from heat. I still don't. I think it did it on purpose.

The wooden lug on the Lamp had swollen from the humidity at home over the weeks and wouldn't slide on the rod. Scratch.

The Klingon quantum torpedo's engine tube did the same and I couldn't load it. Scratch.

The recovery piston in the Ahtreb shredded after refusing to slide over the rod -- PLASTIC lugs are a bad idea.

Still, I got my 40th anniversary Sky Hook flight. And 40 or so other birds to pre-test and pre-prep for next time.

Others had better luick. I'll let them tell you.

How long has that been an issue?

Originally posted by gothique_97
How long has that been an issue?

I think AL can share some addtional light on this, but the person in question has been complaining for a while but I think this is the first year that the town has asked the club to somewhat restrict the use of louder motors via the persons complaint.'

AL?

JRS -

Got it in one. the guy is also a horse's hindview from what a few people tell me. As part of being good neighbors we decided to restrict the high impulse low thrust motors until noonish.

By the way if anyone has an M1000 SKidmark they want to donate to the cause of irritating this guy, I'll fly it...

Thanx,

JRS -

Got it in one. the guy is also a horse's hindview from what a few people tell me. As part of being good neighbors we decided to restrict the high impulse low thrust motors until noonish.

By the way if anyone has an M1000 SKidmark they want to donate to the cause of irritating this guy, I'll fly it...

Thanx,

Not necesssarily to perpetuate the tone of the thread, but in any case, what does it take to use this field? Showing up? Permit? Animal sacrifice?

Actually we go before the Durham Consrvation Comission and sign up. As it is town property, there is an open hearing to make sure nobody has any reasonable objections. Any obstacles are brought up, discussed and a solution found. In this case, we agreed to try and limit the motors that have that special noise that seems to carry until afternoon. It seems the Low Thrust/High Impulse motors (e.g. F20, F25) seem to be the worst offenders.

Anybody have any idea why the low thrust high impulse motors are so noisy? :confused:

Not an unreasonable position as we are surrounded by houses.

Although I find it funny I can fire off a G80 at 9AM but have to wait until noon for an F21...

Has anyone invited this person doen to check out what all the noise is about? Maybe we could get him hooked!

At any rate, if some of the motors bother him, I can only imagine how he must react when the fair is in town for a week!:D

Although I find it funny I can fire off a G80 at 9AM but have to wait until noon for an F21...

The biggest motor I even saw flown there was an H145. It resonated around the hillsides for quite a while.

I always loved that launch site, and am glad to see its still in use after all these years. Its a great field for mid-power rockets. Once in a while, we'd put a rocket in that narrow stand of trees, and I think I only lost one rocket there [a 1.6" Sandhawk on an F25].

Anybody have any idea why the low thrust high impulse motors are so noisy? :confused:

I'd say that is is the propellant formulation and the size of the nozzle. I'm going to PM Joe Burger about this and ask him.

Simple answer: It looks and sounds cool!

Jason

Back