Cartoon Villains

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A rocket named Dishonest John reminded me of all those mustachioed cartoon villains

Just for fun, for those of you who are of sufficient age to recognize the names, answer this -

Who did it best, Dishonest John, Dick Dastardly, or Snidely Whiplash?

I always liked Muttley... even named our German Shephard Muttley. And I'm a biplane fanatic. So I'm saying Dick Dastardly.

Dick Dastardly and Muttley.jpgDick Dastardly and Muttley Biplane.jpg
1978 Muttley.jpg

Does anyone remember Crabby Appleton? The nemesis of Tom Terrific and his faithful dog, Manfred.

I do, but a tend to confuse Crabby with The Professor from Felix the Cat.

Last edited:
Watched pretty much all of these in my youth. Interesting thing was, 20 - 25 years later we were getting them again on AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio & Television Service) in Germany. 😁

How come the villains always have a mustache?

Yes! Why is that? What is the source of this archetype?

2a908b_492ffcbb78164965bc340f46d865d97a~mv2.jpg

<Invoke mini-rant>

Some of these responses are really indicative of how too many people respond to questions posed on TRF. Now, this particular thread is about inconsequential trivia. But, too often, this random response pattern occurs when somebody really wants specific, usable information.

Somebody will ask a specific question, establish the scope and parameters of the question, but the responses have nothing to do with the scope of the question.

Q: My only choices are A, B, and C. Of the three, which would you recommend?
A1: Why aren't you considering W?
A2: I think X and Y are very amusing
A3: I want to write a thesis on the merits of H. I know it is not what you asked about, but I feel the need to educate you.

No wonder beginners get frustrated.

<mini rant terminated - you may return to your prior activities>

Last edited:
<Invoke mini-rant>

Some of these responses are really indicative of how too many people respond to questions posed on TRF. Now, this particular thread is about inconsequential trivia. But, too often, this random response pattern occurs when somebody really wants specific, usable information.

Somebody will ask a specific question, establish the scope and parameters of the question, but the responses have nothing to do with the scope of the question.

Q: My only choices are A, B, and C. Of the three, which would you recommend?
A1: Why aren't you considering W?
A2: I think X and Y are very amusing
A3: I want to write a thesis on the merits of H. I know it is not what you asked about, but I feel the need to educate you.

No wonder beginners get frustrated.

<mini rant terminated - you may return to your prior activities>
I was thinking along similar lines. You put up three choices, and targeted your audience as those old enough to remember. You didn't even ask "Who was the greatest cartoon villain?" You asked, "Who did it best: A, B or C?" Pretty clear.

It's like my kids: Do you want mashed potatoes or baked potatoes? "How about French fries?"

Who did it best, Dishonest John, Dick Dastardly, or Snidely Whiplash?

Of those three Snidley Whiplash, for sure! However, there were other cartoon villains! Does anybody, besides me, remember Tom Terrific and Manfred the Mighty Wonder Dog?

1607015445439.png
And his villain Crabby Appleton?
1607015532848.png

Or Felix the cat and one of his villians The Master Cylinder?
1607015658055.png

Or Crusader Rabbit and Ragland T. Tiger and their villains Bilious Green, Illregard Beauregard and Simon LeGree. (Ding dong dell, pussy's in the well, who put it in? Little Bilious Green"
1607015955692.png

OMG LMAO!! I've been growing out my mustache since COVID hit and this weekend my better half asked me to trim it. Feeling a bit put off by the not-so-subtle request I decided to fashion it after the greatest comic villain I could remember...Snidley Whiplash!!

Back