Cardstock V-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasck1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make a cardstock version of the V-2 using the plans from this site -
https://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

I am currently building a downscale version of the PDF from that site. It will fly on a 13mm motor. In the picture, you can see the body and nosecone. The MM is already installed. Next will be the Fins. It should stand about 9 1/2" when completed.

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this. Let me know if you have and any advise on things to be aware of.

I have the pdf. of this V2 and several other paper model plans, I just haven't gotten around to building them.
I did do a V2-#2 whitesands 1:119.4853 Scale Micro Maxx powered BT-5 based model. Flys like a dream on MM-1 or MM-II motors

Oops! I went back and re-read your first post.. DAH! I missed the 13mm motor part, though the MM was for Micro-Maxx.

I have made the black and white version with an 18mm motor mount. If you've made any other cardstock models, you should have no problem.

Here is a picture of the sub-assemblies stacked together before final glueing.

And a launch picture. I have been thinking of down scaling it.

The model flys excellently on a B6-4.

Bob,
Yours looks great! Do you have any idea where the CP is? I got the build whooped, just not sure on the nose weight.

I reduced the PDF by 50% to get the one i'm building. If it works good I will build the full size like yours.

Are you using a chute for recovery?

Thanks,

Those are ALL very nice y'all.I'm really gonna have to pick up that Sport Rocketry mag with the 5 1/2 ft. all paper V-2.I've been wanting to do some paper models just to try it out so thanks for the link.

Originally posted by BobH48
And a launch picture. I have been thinking of down scaling it.

The model flys excellently on a B6-4.
Bob, that's a great looking bird. I'm sorry I missed seeing her launch this year.

I have the models downloaded and ready to build as soon as the snow flies... :p

Originally posted by texasck1
Bob,
Yours looks great! Do you have any idea where the CP is? [snip]
Texasch1,
Here is a list of CP measurements (see link). Search for the V2 in the list.

Essence's Model Rocketry CP Library

You will need to know the total length of model, and calculate a proportional measurement for your card model.

Or, ask the question in a new thread, and you will get tons of replies. ;)

Originally posted by texasck1
Bob,
Yours looks great! Do you have any idea where the CP is? I got the build whooped, just not sure on the nose weight.

I reduced the PDF by 50% to get the one i'm building. If it works good I will build the full size like yours.

Are you using a chute for recovery?

Thanks,

I used VCP to calculate the CP but didn't write it down . :( My Bad

The balance point with a C6-5 is 10" from the nose so if you balance your 50% downscale at 5" from the nose with an A3-4T or A10-3T loaded you should be ok.

It's really light and I used a 10" chute and it was plenty big enough. On one flight the chute tangled and didn't open and it landed with no damage.

I have the camo version printed but haven't found time to build it yet.

I hope to hear back that your 13mm version was a success :D

I've buillt MicroMaxx, 13mm, and 29mm paper models. I'll have to add this one to the winter build list. Nice jon guys.

I'm slooowwwly working on the Peenemunde B/W version, with an 18mm mmt. Bob, did you have to add nose weight at all? Any reenforcement of the fin structures? I'm a bit skeptical about that...

I've also got the pdfs downloaded for the SpaceShipOne model. At original scale, it looks to take a 13mm motor quite easily. Don't have a clue about any other issues one might face with it.

it's the same URL as the V2:

https://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

scroll down a bit. Currell's got two SpaceShip One models: the version Rutan and Co. tested first, and the version they flew to win the X Prize.

the biggest difference between the two is the rocket nozzle- IMHO the xPrize version would be better for flight conversion because you've basically got a full shroud that would cover the motor.

I converted the SS1 for MMX motors, but it's too heavy to be a good flier. I think it should work well for 13mm motors. Review is on EMRR.

Originally posted by graylensman
I'm slooowwwly working on the Peenemunde B/W version, with an 18mm mmt. Bob, did you have to add nose weight at all? Any reenforcement of the fin structures? I'm a bit skeptical about that...

I added some modeling clay in the top section of the nose. It balances 10" from the nose with a C6-5 loaded.

The built up fins are solid as a rock and no reinforcment was necessary.

Originally posted by BobH48

The built up fins are solid as a rock and no reinforcment was necessary.

From the photo, it looks like you left off the paper fillets. Any reason for that?

Also, where did you put the launch lug?

I started one of these for the September Muncie, IN launch but didn't get it done in time :-(.

Originally posted by narprez
From the photo, it looks like you left off the paper fillets. Any reason for that?

I started one of these for the September Muncie, IN launch but didn't get it done in time :(.

It wasn't finished when I took that picture. I did use the paper fillets but put them on after I had glued the sub-assemblies together.

I just put the launch lug on the center body section at about the CG.

Originally posted by narprez

I started one of these for the September Muncie, IN launch but didn't get it done in time :(.

It wasn't finished when I took that picture. I did use the paper fillets but put them on after I had glued the sub-assemblies together.

I just put the launch lug on the center body section at about the CG.

Oops!

I should have attached the picture of the completed fin unit complete with the fillets. :rolleyes:

Back