Carbon Plate Source?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llobdelljr

Reaction score
I want to laminate some HPR plywood fins with 1/32" carbon fiber plate. Any suggestions for a source?
Thanks!!

Try checking ebay. I've noticed some sellers have been selling scraps for a good price. Usually the scraps have enough usable space to get some fins out of them. I've done this with some 1mm carbon fiber and had a good experience.

I have been getting composites from the Composite Store for years: https://www.cstsales.com/

They have plates that are very good, but carbon fiber fabric is way cheaper and laminates plywood very well. If you absolutely need CF plates for your use-case, that is cool, but most HPR use cases will be as well served with a CF fabric laminate.

I have been getting composites from the Composite Store for years: https://www.cstsales.com/

They have plates that are very good, but carbon fiber fabric is way cheaper and laminates plywood very well. If you absolutely need CF plates for your use-case, that is cool, but most HPR use cases will be as well served with a CF fabric laminate.
Have you tried their aramid braided sleeves? Is that the same as tubular kevlar? Seems like it.

Have you tried their aramid braided sleeves? Is that the same as tubular kevlar? Seems like it.

No, I have only tried their fiberglass and carbon fiber products. They do look like the tubular kevlar used for shock cords. Considering how cheap the Composite Store price is vs. other vendors, I may have to get some and try it out. Their site doesn't list tensile strength or working load limit, but they would probably work great for light and midweight rockets (I am thinking 50 pounds or less). Above that, the rocket is so expensive anyway, I will spend the money for tried and true Onebadhawk harnesses.

The braided sleeves are for making or reinforcing tubes. Not the same as tubular Kevlar for shock cords. It has about the same thickness as 5.7oz carbon fiber.

Latest posts

Back