Carbon Monster Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Its time to get flying again since I have been out of it for three years. Found out there is a club close by in my area and so it makes going for a launch much easier for me. My goal this year is to get to Level 2. I have not paid my membership in 3 years so I am certain I will need to re-certify for level 1. The rocket I will be building will be able to get me both level 1 and 2.

The rocket design is a 75mm carbon fiber rocket with a 54mm motor mount. Majority of the parts will be composites minus the nose cone.

I will get started on this some time during the middle of January. I have lots to catch up on before I can get to building this rocket.

Pictures to follow soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are doing that you should make the motor mount removable so you can insert a 75mm motor...just saying.

Alex- dive in the deep end and make your own CF nose cone....then i'll buy one too! You know you're the most famous (W)rapper I know-right?
Straight smoke and good chutes, brother! Fly high in 2017.

Alex- dive in the deep end and make your own CF nose cone....then i'll buy one too! You know you're the most famous (W)rapper I know-right?
Straight smoke and good chutes, brother! Fly high in 2017.

Fiberglass for NC transparency ;). Or kevlar/fiberglass hybrid o_O. Just need a mold to make the nose cone.

Thanks Dave, looking forward to this year.

Looks good I'm right there with you. I have been out for awhile now and will mostly have to recert both L1 and 2 . Make it fun would try all three in one day

Alright, here is the bird on Rocksim. It looks like this bird will be able to be re-modified to accommodate a 75mm motor in the future. For now, it will have a removable motor mount that will handle the two motors I plan to use.

Screenshot (15).jpg

Subscribed - and good luck with the re-cert and L2. Are you using manufactured CF tubing, wrapping a card / phenolic tube, or doing hand lay up around a mandrel?

A few years ago the NAR changed its policy on certification levels expiring. If you were certified through NAR and rejoin, you regain your cert level.
From the NAR site:
NAR HPR certifications, once earned, are valid whenever NAR membership is current, and are reinstated after membership lapses.

Steve Shannon

Subscribed - and good luck with the re-cert and L2. Are you using manufactured CF tubing, wrapping a card / phenolic tube, or doing hand lay up around a mandrel?

Thank you Tim,

I will be hand laying it up around a mandrel. It will be a 6K twill fabric.

Looks good I'm right there with you. I have been out for awhile now and will mostly have to recert both L1 and 2 . Make it fun would try all three in one day

Good to see you again Chris, let me know when you build something. Making it out of carbon sure will be fun :D.

Monster is a ten foot tall and 10 inch diameter tube fin rocket 98 mm hole with a 75 mm adapter

Monster is a ten foot tall and 10 inch diameter tube fin rocket 98 mm hole with a 75 mm adapter

Haha yeah that does sound like a monster. I hope that one day I will get the chance to take on the monster of all motors.

Found this 54mm fiberglass tube I did a long time ago. Its 8" long, which is enough to use as the motor mount. I will see about getting custom CR's later on.

d05cc770ef067caa5c1d4bbeca098d8d.jpg

Ditching the traditional dual deploy and going with the new Head End Deployment that seams to be going around here lately. Here is the new look of the design. Tube to be rolled sometime in February.

Screenshot (16).jpg

Alright guys so here is a minor update. Until I get my tax return, which might be some time near the end of the month. I might end up rolling the carbon tube in March.

Back