carbon fiber Richter Recker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
well..... simulated carbon fiber.

I figured out a way to get a very convincing Carbon Fiber paint scheme...I wish I could capture it better on camera...untill you get a real close look you will think my richter recker is carbon fiber

the tools involved are simple
a can of gloss black for a base coat
some of that rubbery drawer liner,that has the square woven openings
and a can of dark grey gloss

heres the shelf liner with my test piece

from my experiments I found two important points
make sure the liner is tight against the surface and spray the Dark grey in light coats

annother thing I figured out is the easiest way to paint a richter recker is to hang it from the garage ceiling

when I finish the " Carbon laminating" and gloss coat I will take some pictures outside,, it looks amazingly real anywhere beyond close inspection, so I will work to get better pics

heres the RR hanging ready for "CF"

here one more pic ,it looks like
there are a few spots where I need to clean my handprints off before I clearcoat

I can't wait to see the RSO's expression when I stroll up with a "carbon fiber" Richter Recker

Sweet! Where'd you pick up the drawer liner (Wally World?), and what type of paint did you use? I love it. I have a rocketing buddy I'd love to spring thie effect on. :)

Originally posted by Mad Rocketeer
Sweet! Where'd you pick up the drawer liner (Wally World?), and what type of paint did you use? I love it. I have a rocketing buddy I'd love to spring thie effect on. :)

Lowe's and Home Depot carries that stuff.

Hmm...Interesting effect. This is certainly one of the more creative and original ideas I've seen for painting a rocket in a while. Nice tip!

Latest posts

Back