CARBER Energetics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew you'd get a kick out of that one! I played the "age card" for you. ;-) The average age here probably puts both of us on right end of the bell curve.
Yep. That was funny. I call myself an “old goat” or “geezer.” Both fit!! Lol!

I have a very “low” Tripoli number. I think I’m in the top 10 of early members.

You "sold" him motors? I was once severely chastised for admitting I bought research motors. I was warned by a tripoli board member that doing so is against research rules.

Greetings to all!

my apology for not posting information sooner. I wanted to let everyone know the progress of our company. We’ve had a series of setbacks. I had surgery on my foot back in February. I was off my feet for 3 months! Actually I wasn’t off my feet entirely. But, for all intents and purposes I was “offline.”
My business partner caught Covid and has still not fully recovered. It’s been bad for him, his wife (yes she had it too!), and his mother in law, and son! Terrible!
Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know where things stood. We are NOT stopping working on solid rocket motors!! We are currently working towards having some motors ready for testing ASAP.
I’ll let everyone know when that happens. Thanks for your patience as we forge ahead with diligence and hard work!!

don
I believe I may have been introduced to your partner at last years Red Glare launch. As I told him, I wish you success, as more motor manufactures increase competition and in theory, at least stabilize and in some cases, bring down cost to consumers. BTW, I'm an older individual and I still chase rockets.. Wishing good health and success.

You "sold" him motors? I was once severely chastised for admitting I bought research motors. I was warned by a tripoli board member that doing so is against research rules.
Very likely all this predated most of our current rulesets.

Well, Tripoli hasn’t arrested me yet. Last time I looked, the motors weren’t any more experimental than any of the other motor manufacturers sold.
Oh and Tripoli didn’t yank my number either. Perhaps Tripoli doesn’t have the cajones everyone thinks they do. Just posing a question.

I believe I may have been introduced to your partner at last years Red Glare launch. As I told him, I wish you success, as more motor manufactures increase competition and in theory, at least stabilize and in some cases, bring down cost to consumers. BTW, I'm an older individual and I still chase rockets.. Wishing good health and success.
Thanks Fred for the nice comments!

They had enough cajones to challenge the ATF, a far bigger and more powerful opponent than any member or manufacturer. And won.

As @dhbarr said, the rules have changed since then.
My point being, is that they evidently didn’t have enough to challenge me as some are saying.
Tripoli has no governmental powers. I would suggest that if I want to build a very large motor and fly it, Tripoli can’t stop me or anyone else from doing so. Comprende’? They may WANT you to think they have powers, but they don’t. If that were the case then many of the NEW rocket companies would challenged by them. I don’t see that hat. Do you?

TRA doesn't expressly forbid selling EX motors, I don't think. However, any flight of an EX motor that was not made by the flier must be considered a "group project," and the motor manufacturer must be on hand for the launch. So you can't buy a motor from your friend in Idaho and go launch it in Kansas unless the motor manufacturer goes to Kansas for the launch. But if the manufacturer is on hand for the launch, then I don't think TRA has any care or insight as to whether some money changed hands for the motor.

TRA doesn't expressly forbid selling EX motors, I don't think. However, any flight of an EX motor that was not made by the flier must be considered a "group project," and the motor manufacturer must be on hand for the launch. So you can't buy a motor from your friend in Idaho and go launch it in Kansas unless the motor manufacturer goes to Kansas for the launch. But if the manufacturer is on hand for the launch, then I don't think TRA has any care or insight as to whether some money changed hands for the motor.
That's how I understand it to.

My point being, is that they evidently didn’t have enough to challenge me as some are saying.
Tripoli has no governmental powers. I would suggest that if I want to build a very large motor and fly it, Tripoli can’t stop me or anyone else from doing so. Comprende’? They may WANT you to think they have powers, but they don’t. If that were the case then many of the NEW rocket companies would challenged by them. I don’t see that hat. Do you?
I agree that TRA has no legal authority. The FAA, and in many cases the NFPA, are the authorities we need to legally obey. But, TRA does have the authority to control who launches what at their sanctioned launches. If you approach the RSO with an EX motor that you did not make, and the motor maker is not present, then he will turn you away. Doesn't mean you can't go get your own field and your own waiver and fly whatever you want. But finding fields and getting waivers is not an easy thing to do.

Don,
Many presumptions in your reply. Sure to fuel the peanut gallery. Tripoli's BOD today is a bunch of great people, very open to new ideas. Keep in mind that the insurance policy is the overriding means and limitations of TRA organized activity. Everything rides on that. If someone wishes to do other amateur rocket activities, there are other venues for that. Local, State, and Federal laws, though, have a real bite with their bark!

I agree that TRA has no legal authority. The FAA, and in many cases the NFPA, are the authorities we need to legally obey. But, TRA does have the authority to control who launches what at their sanctioned launches. If you approach the RSO with an EX motor that you did not make, and the motor maker is not present, then he will turn you away. Doesn't mean you can't go get your own field and your own waiver and fly whatever you want. But finding fields and getting waivers is not an easy thing to do.
You made my point!!
that was never in question. Of course Tripoli can keep you from launching at their launches. That wasn’t my point. My point is, and will continue to be, Tripoli has no control over what I launch if I have a place to do so.

Look friends. I’m not here to challenge you, Tripoli, the NFPA, or anyone else. All I’m simply saying is that if I have a motor I built and want to fly it I can. Perhaps not at a
Tripoli sanctioned launch, but not on my daughter’s 100 acre farm if I wish. It seems a lot of people get their panties in a wad over rockets, motors, etc. etc.
I’m an old timer. Geezer if you will. I remember when Tripoli started. Me, Mark Weber, Tom Blazanin and a couple of others. It was a fledgling organization. So, when you speak to me or of me try and understand that if it weren’t for people like us who actually started Tripoli, there would be NO Tripoli.

Don,
There's no reason you can't fly your motors at a Tripoli launch if you're a TRA member and L2. Just need to fly an H and a J certified commercial motor in your own rocket. After those two flights, you can "team up" with someone to put your motor in their rocket. Not a huge expense or effort considering the costs of the supplies and equipment for making your own motors. You don't have to call yourself a manufacturer, just an individual flying a "project" with a friend.

You may have lots of reasons to not want to do this, but it's an option if you want to get back into the world of high power rocketry. See how things have changed. Meet people. Get feedback on your motors. Find out if the next step as a manufacturer still makes sense to you.

All this has been said before. I hope you get healthy enough to follow through. Otherwise, it's always interesting to hear from "the old geezer" of rocketry and his big plans. :)

Don,
There's no reason you can't fly your motors at a Tripoli launch if you're a TRA member and L2. Just need to fly an H and a J certified commercial motor in your own rocket. After those two flights, you can "team up" with someone to put your motor in their rocket. Not a huge expense or effort considering the costs of the supplies and equipment for making your own motors. You don't have to call yourself a manufacturer, just an individual flying a "project" with a friend.

You may have lots of reasons to not want to do this, but it's an option if you want to get back into the world of high power rocketry. See how things have changed. Meet people. Get feedback on your motors. Find out if the next step as a manufacturer still makes sense to you.

All this has been said before. I hope you get healthy enough to follow through. Otherwise, it's always interesting to hear from "the old geezer" of rocketry and his big plans. :)
That is a most kind response! I appreciate what you’ve told me! VERY MUCH! Excellent advice and well taken! You sound like a good man!!

By the way. For the chap asking me about the article I published. My wife informed me it as a “self published” booklet on solid propellant. According to my wife, it was about 25 pages long and she said I had 100 of them printed. I gave most away. When we moved 5 years ago, I’ve lost track of what was leftover.

Look friends. I’m not here to challenge you, Tripoli, the NFPA, or anyone else. All I’m simply saying is that if I have a motor I built and want to fly it I can. Perhaps not at a
Tripoli sanctioned launch, but not on my daughter’s 100 acre farm if I wish. It seems a lot of people get their panties in a wad over rockets, motors, etc. etc.
I’m an old timer. Geezer if you will. I remember when Tripoli started. Me, Mark Weber, Tom Blazanin and a couple of others. It was a fledgling organization. So, when you speak to me or of me try and understand that if it weren’t for people like us who actually started Tripoli, there would be NO Tripoli.
All you need is FAA approval to launch on your own... not easy to get anymore for a private launch, even on your own property.

By the way. For the chap asking me about the article I published. My wife informed me it as a “self published” booklet on solid propellant. According to my wife, it was about 25 pages long and she said I had 100 of them printed. I gave most away. When we moved 5 years ago, I’ve lost track of what was leftover.

No doubt that myself....and many of us...would love to own a copy of that booklet sir.

jamey#5295

Don, to clarify:

I was just saying there was probably no rule against flying those purchased EX motors at that time.

Many things are different now. But, it's the buyer who would be challenged when he attempted to fly the EX motors he bought at a launch. TRA wouldn't allow it to fly at their launch. And yes, the officers have the cajones to stand up to the buyer for that, and TRA will have their back. At least, that's the way I see it.

Nothing derogatory towards you was said or implied.

Don, to clarify:

I was just saying there was probably no rule against flying those purchased EX motors at that time.

Many things are different now. But, it's the buyer who would be challenged when he attempted to fly the EX motors he bought at a launch. TRA wouldn't allow it to fly at their launch. And yes, the officers have the cajones to stand up to the buyer for that, and TRA will have their back. At least, that's the way I see it.

Nothing derogatory towards you was said or implied.
No offense taken. I appreciate what you have told me…

Back