car tire as solid fuel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecklesRocketeer

Reaction score
wouldn't it technically be possible to make solid fuel by freezing a car tire in liquid nitrogen, grind it into a fine powder while it's brittle, then mix it with potassium nitrate and iron oxide? car tires burn for quite a long time so i thought they might burn significantly longer than a regular sugar motor

Propellant discussions are normally reserved for research section for making solid fuel rocket motors.

However I think you could use a car tire or rubbery chunks of it in a hybrid rocket motor as a fuel source. The oxidizer in a hybrid motor would be nitrous oxide or another kind of pressurized gaseous fluid. It would be a lot easier than trying to chemically extract the tire itself.

Would need something to stick it together..
The cost of freezing and grinding would be greater than buying new materials..
M

However I think you could use a car tire or rubbery chunks of it in a hybrid rocket motor as a fuel source. The oxidizer in a hybrid motor would be nitrous oxide or another kind of pressurized gaseous fluid. It would be a lot easier than trying to chemically extract the tire itself.

i know it would work in a hybrid motor but i want to make a solid one. i really can't see why it wouldn't work unless maybe if potassium nitrate isn't a suitable oxidizer for such a fuel

That’s not how I was made! :D
Also car tires have steel belts and what not. And aren’t exactly the cleanest burning thing you could choose as a fuel.
It just occurred to me after reading your post...tires smoke so badly because they have a much higher proportion of carbon to hydrogen than is optimal for a good fuel. (Of course they do, carbon black is the main filler. C'mon, Terry, you're supposed to be a chem prof!) Ideally the fuel should be as high in hydrogen as is practical, for Isp.

And you're right about the steel belts. Companies that rip tires into bits to use as fill for playplaces and whatnot have a heckuva time getting rid of every last bit of steel.

Best -- Terry

Chris, There are a bunch of guys who have no clue to what you just "did"..which is a good thing. Now get back to making cool electronic things.

Tony

Chris, There are a bunch of guys who have no clue to what you just "did"..which is a good thing. Now get back to making cool electronic things.

Tony
This would be an ideal load for a Jet Hitch... it would give "burning rubber" a new meaning.
You two are funny! Somewhere I have some Jet Hitch propaganda saved from the website.

Natural rubber (rubber bands) would work better, lots of hydrogen to go along with the carbon, but also agree with MClark!!

Back