Capt'n Morgan & Diet Coke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serpico

Reaction score
Playing around with this idea whist I wait for the burn ban to be lifted ~ emptied plastic bottles painted (internally) and filled with expanding insulation foam (to provide some rigidity). Idea is to core out the middle for the motor mount tube in all three and and recovery in the "main" middle. Still need to design fin sizes/placement.

For those wondering ~ the rubber bands are just for holding the prototyping together ....

Thinking of going with 3 motors: 2 low end "boosters" and a decent main that deploys the recovery:

Last edited:
:cheers:

How did you paint the inside of the bottles?

Sprayed paint into opening, closed and shook bottles. Opened and used hair dryer to get it tacky enuf to stop it from not sticking.

Once tacky, sprayed expanding foam. Capped and this is what I ended up with.

Sprayed paint into opening, closed and shook bottles. Opened and used hair dryer to get it tacky enuf to stop it from not sticking.

Once tacky, sprayed expanding foam. Capped and this is what I ended up with.

Makes sense... Thanks!

I love it! My girlfriend drinks Capt. & Diet all the time, got me liking it as well. Can't wait to see flight pics and video!

You can say the boosters are powered by MENTOS! Alcohol - water power will work too. Rum and Coke, yum! How are you going to glue those plastic bottles together? TTW fins glued into the foam? Short and stubby with lots of drag. What motors?

You know, you've started a whole new type of rocket here.We'll call them "SWIZZLERS". Yea, my liver is already getting hard working on the next one !!! And look at all the great new names we have to play with---Bloody Mary---Tequila Sunrise--The Screwdriver. They've all probably been done before, but not with so much--------HMMMMMM-----Precision !!! This brings a whole new meaning to " MOJAVE GREEN"

Yeah a little too much Captain Morgan and you get Mellow Jaundice Yellow.

... How are you going to glue those plastic bottles together? TTW fins glued into the foam? Short and stubby with lots of drag. What motors?

All unknowns ~ At the moment I plan to use wooden dowels to connect the three bodies together (one aft and one fore). I have a 3D printer so I may get creative on that front and print out "joining plates" for the bottle-to-bottle ares ~ but that is a LOT of reverse modeling on complex shapes for a project like this. I may just leave a 1/8" gap between the "boosters" and the main air-frame; something like this: []=[]=[]

Will likely pickup a few Estes kits (with plastic fins) and insert the air frames (and motor-mounts) into the booze-ters and main air-frame. Basically I'm skinning three kits with plastic bottles and bolting them together. Fins are definitely TTW into the foam.

On another note, I got an interesting (and applicable) effect after the foam dried: Looks like the Coke is in the process of being "Shaken" and "Foaming":

Last edited:
Back