Can't find the paint color you want?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider07928

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to throw it out there that my company, MyPerfectColor, custom makes spray paint. We have a huge library of pigments including a wide range of colors, metallics, pearlescents, fluorescents, and transparents, and we can make just about anything. We recently added a wide range of new metallics and pearlescents as well. I love tinkering with new finishes, especially the metallics and pearlescents, so if there is something you can't find, we can probably help. We likely already have something similar and if not, we could create it for you. We can even custom match existing finishes. We did that for a Nasa Engineer who wanted us to recreate the NASA Mission Control Blue Paint where we matched an actual part from Mission Control (btw the color is more green than blue which is a head scratcher :). Interesting aside, we've made paint for Space X, Blue Origin, and the Kennedy Space Center.

How do you go about matching up a color like this?
9uhV93g.jpg

That's a practically impossible color to match because it uses special mica pigments with color shifting properties. It would be impossible to match exactly without having the same ingredients. We have matched a number of orange metallic finishes. For repainting, or painting something new, we could probably create something similar, but it wouldn't work for touch up because the reflective behavior of the touch up would be quite different from the original coating. To really get close we would need a physical sample, otherwise we could use the pic but there is no way to know how close the original is to how the picture appears on our monitor. We would use a combination of pearlescent, possibly an interference mica, and semi-transparent pigments to create the color. Depending on the effect desired it might be necessary to utilize a base coat color as well. It would be a difficult project for sure.

Back