Cannot get ball to rattle in spray paint can

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this is frustrating. I have a brand new can of white, primer spray paint. I have warmed it up in hot tap water for 15 minutes.

I cannot get the ball to rattle to save my life.

Any suggestions?

19E0E88D-1553-43DE-9D44-A51BEB7C9964.jpeg

Any spray paint can with pigment has to have a ball, right?

Last edited:
They put all kinds of metal objects in those cans. It may just been missed if the something backed up and you could shake your head off and never hear a rattle. Best thing to do is shake it for a few minutes and try spraying on a test object. If it spits, it's bad. If it sprays and covers evenly, use it up.

Ok, this is frustrating. I have a brand new can of white, primer spray paint. I have warmed it up in hot tap water for 15 minutes.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 525791

Rust-oleum product support informed me that a couple of their products do NOT have shaker balls (marbles). There one I called about is 224284 a clear acrylic rust inhibitor for spraying told for example. They mentioned there are others.

While this doesn't apply to your situation, I thought I should mention it.

I'll mention it since I didn't see it mentioned previously. I take the can and hit the bottom of the can on the sole of my shoe... in my experience this dislodges the ball better than other methods. Rarely do I get a can that won't rattle after a good whack on the shoe. Also, I do the same at the store...I won't leave a store with the product unless I get a good rattle out of the can. Store security hasn't stopped me yet! ;)

Any suggestions?

View attachment 525791

Did it rattle when you bought it? If you're not sure, sometimes the machine misses dropping a marble in the can.

I bet you'll check all the cans at the store from now on. ;)

I instinctually do this every time I have a rattle can in my hands!

+1 for a reciprocating saw shaker. Works really well - even on very old paint cans - really gets the old balls rattling! :p

Attachments

• paint-shaker.jpg
    paint-shaker.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I instinctually do this every time I have a rattle can in my hands!

+1 for a reciprocating saw shaker. Works really well - even on very old paint cans - really gets the old balls rattling! :p

Good one!

I came up with a new use for my neglected 1/3rd sheet oscillating sander. The can is held in place with reusable zip ties and a hunk of foam rubber cut from a Goodwill yoga mat. (1001 uses for that stuff.)

74F8D7F6-8AAA-4EFB-9150-6E31D0D2593F.jpeg

Back