Cannot get ball to rattle in spray paint can

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this is frustrating. I have a brand new can of white, primer spray paint. I have warmed it up in hot tap water for 15 minutes.

I cannot get the ball to rattle to save my life.

Any suggestions?

19E0E88D-1553-43DE-9D44-A51BEB7C9964.jpeg

Any spray paint can with pigment has to have a ball, right?

Last edited:

3stoogesrocketry

Reaction score
These are about $5.50 each at Home Depot. I would like a new can. That is the cost of a Big Mac.

(Or maybe not, after inflation.)

It's also the cost of a gallon of gas these days . How far away is your HD? Try leaving the can upsidedown for a while .

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
They put all kinds of metal objects in those cans. It may just been missed if the something backed up and you could shake your head off and never hear a rattle. Best thing to do is shake it for a few minutes and try spraying on a test object. If it spits, it's bad. If it sprays and covers evenly, use it up.

steve.c.chemist

Reaction score
Ok, this is frustrating. I have a brand new can of white, primer spray paint. I have warmed it up in hot tap water for 15 minutes.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 525791

Rust-oleum product support informed me that a couple of their products do NOT have shaker balls (marbles). There one I called about is 224284 a clear acrylic rust inhibitor for spraying told for example. They mentioned there are others.

While this doesn't apply to your situation, I thought I should mention it.

ECayemberg

Reaction score
I'll mention it since I didn't see it mentioned previously. I take the can and hit the bottom of the can on the sole of my shoe... in my experience this dislodges the ball better than other methods. Rarely do I get a can that won't rattle after a good whack on the shoe. Also, I do the same at the store...I won't leave a store with the product unless I get a good rattle out of the can. Store security hasn't stopped me yet! ;)

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Any suggestions?

View attachment 525791

Did it rattle when you bought it? If you're not sure, sometimes the machine misses dropping a marble in the can.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bet you'll check all the cans at the store from now on. ;)

I instinctually do this every time I have a rattle can in my hands!

+1 for a reciprocating saw shaker. Works really well - even on very old paint cans - really gets the old balls rattling! :p

Attachments

• paint-shaker.jpg
    paint-shaker.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: