Canadian Level 4 Certification Build - Ultimate Wildman

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
The flight was a complete success and I am now Level 4 certified!

Max Altitude: 7064 feet
Max Velocity: Mach 0.67

Here is the full video of the flight on YouTube:

Below is the GPS data for the Level 4 flight (red) shown alongside the data for my Shape Shifter Jr's flight (green) on Saturday evening.
Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 4.58.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 5.26.25 PM.png

The rocket landed right next to a drivable road so recovery could not have been easier. Within 15 mins the rocket was recovered and back at the flight line. No damage whatsoever!
IMG_1381.jpeg IMG_1389.jpeg

Last edited:

jkovac

Reaction score
Congratulations! And thank you for documenting and sharing your approach, greatly appreciated.

emmah

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw the YT video of your flight earlier this month, and your thread answered my wife and my's question about how HPR levels work in Canadian rocketry.

I appreciated this thread, so much to learn from it.

Thanks for taking us along, and congrats on your L4!

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
I saw the YT video of your flight earlier this month, and your thread answered my wife and my's question about how HPR levels work in Canadian rocketry.

I appreciated this thread, so much to learn from it.

Thanks for taking us along, and congrats on your L4!
Thanks! I’m delighted to hear that you and others found this thread useful and informative!

I’m currently planning to fly this rocket again in early September on an L1395. If that flight goes well, I’ll be gearing up to fly it on an N motor next year (finances permitting) 🙂

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
great news!

Rage at the Gage I assume?! (DO they allow non-CAR Canadians to fly there?)
Correct! And you do need to be a CAR member to fly there for insurance purposes. This is true for all CAR sanctioned launches. A NAR or TRA membership does not count unfortunately.

(Side note: I am currently one of the principle organizers for the event.)

Last edited:

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
I'll admit that until this flight, I was not really a fan of Blue Streak propellent (reason being that for smaller motors the flame and thin smoke tend to get lost against the backdrop of a bright sky). But the L1395 amazed me. If anything, I was more wowed by this motor than the M1830 despite the L1395 having less total impulse (both are 75 4G motors though). The shape and blue-to-purple colour transition of the flame on this motor is absolutely gorgeous! The propellent grains themselves are quite blue too!

IMG_1831.jpeg

I'm kind of obsessed with the view from the onboard camera of the L1395's flame hitting the blast deflector!
L1395 Onboard 1.png