Canadian Arrow - Level 3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea why the new Estes Canadian Arrow is Level 3? It really looks like a straight forward rocket - 4 fins, body tube and nose cone, with some decals. Or am I missing something? Is there a boat tail on that? I notice the fins look a little like V2 fins... but I really don't see anything on that rocket that would warrant a level 3...

Rick

How large is it? Sometimes I feel like Estes bases their "Levels" on size.

I think L3 because it's bigger and uses D engines just like the executioner or phoenix.

I think having to saw the slots in the tail cone is why Estes makes it a level 3 kit...

Originally posted by Rick James
Anybody have any idea why the new Estes Canadian Arrow is Level 3? It really looks like a straight forward rocket - 4 fins, body tube and nose cone, with some decals. Or am I missing something? Is there a boat tail on that? I notice the fins look a little like V2 fins... but I really don't see anything on that rocket that would warrant a level 3...

Rick

I'm surprised it's not 4. The V2 is level 4 and the Arrow is a stretched V2. Same boat tail. Perhaps they've made it easier.

Getting the paint scheme right is not going to be easy. If they use decals instead, that much decal won't be easy either.

It is NOT Maxi sized.

It is the large but not giant V-2 size.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I'm surprised it's not 4. The V2 is level 4 and the Arrow is a stretched V2. Same boat tail. Perhaps they've made it easier.

Getting the paint scheme right is not going to be easy. If they use decals instead, that much decal won't be easy either.

Originally posted by shreadvector
It is NOT Maxi sized.

It is the large but not giant V-2 size.

2.60" diameter, same as Estes #1904 which is level 4.
4.4" longer though, at 26.8". That's 3/4" longer than exact scale, off 18" in full scale measure.

Only claims 500' flights with D12s as opposed to 750 for the V2. I can't see 4" of BT80 taking up 1/3 of its altitude ability. Uses "wood" fins like the V2 so it's not the fat plastic ones making the difference.

MetMan nailed it,
It's L3 because you have to cut the fin slots
the tailcone has raised humps that you cut off with a razor saw
there is usually some sanding involved to fit the fin tabs and slots, compounded somewhat buy the tailcone radius. plus you are glueing wood fins to a plastic tailcone that is also different from most estes kits.
also the centering ring placemant is more critical than normal
to a beginner this would be much more complicated and involve more tools and glues than say, an alpha kit

Well, if this a stretch V2... for $20 - this looks like a candidate for some kit-bashing... may have to pick up a few.

Originally posted by Rick James
Well, if this a stretch V2... for $20 - this looks like a candidate for some kit-bashing... may have to pick up a few.

heh.

It's 5 bucks less than the V2.
4 inches more tube and it costs less.
Same saw-away fin slots and all.

V-2
Silver Comet
Now the Canadian Arrow!

Tell me Estes didn't get thier moneys worth out of this molds!

That is my favorite size too!

One thing...The Canadian Arrow is a "D" only???:D

But it would fly so nice on an "E9"!

Originally posted by sandman
V-2
Silver Comet
Now the Canadian Arrow!

Tell me Estes didn't get thier moneys worth out of this molds!

That is my favorite size too!

One thing...The Canadian Arrow is a "D" only???:D

But it would fly so nice on an "E9"!

It's highly unlikely they changed the motor tube in the kit. It's 7.75" long. Swap in a 3.75" hook and it'll fly on F21s.

I've got these 24mm G110's, just under 7" long.....

If the model is 1:24 scale and I send it up 13,700 feet, do I win an X-prize?

If the model is 1:24 scale and I send it up 13,700 feet, do I win an X-prize?

Only with 3 "live" payloads and don't believe the NAR would be happy about that!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by sandman
Only with 3 "live" payloads and don't believe the NAR would be happy about that!:rolleyes:

"Honey, I Shrunk The Astronauts"

Back