Can you use a Raspberry Pi for AU?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbuzz49

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone know if you can use a Raspberry Pi for an avionics unit? I want to use a single computer, to record the altitude, record GPS, and to deploy the parachute. I know there is an altitude chip you can buy for the Pi, my only concern is that the Pi needs the internet to function. Unless you can make it an offline program? If you can not use a Pi, what are some of the other things people are using for the AU?
My best - Buzz

Pi does not require internet or any connection type to function. It can run stand-alone without issue but you do need to know how to manage it so that your program would load on boot. The Pi is very powerful compared to most rocketry electronics but it isn't real-time and so I wouldn't use it for anything other than recording. You would need to wire your sensors to the GPIO (or use a HAT) and write your own program to sense and record but it is very possible. Also, the Pi uses significant amount of battery compared to most rocketry electronics. It is large, battery hungry, not real-time and still requires you to write everything on your own. For the same price as the Pi, battery, sensors, etc you can get a very good, proven flight controller that does everything you're asking for in things like EggFinder TRS.

Thank you so much! I never heard of the Eggtimer computer, I have seen many flight commuters that are priced very high ($300+) and I just thought I can make one which I am still trying to do. Are there any other flight computers similar to the EggFinder TRS?

Have you considered the Missile Works, AltusMetrum, PerfectFlite and Aim altimeters? For GPS you can just add a tracker suggested in your other thread.

Hi all, does anyone know if you can use a Raspberry Pi for an avionics unit? I want to use a single computer, to record the altitude, record GPS, and to deploy the parachute. I know there is an altitude chip you can buy for the Pi, my only concern is that the Pi needs the internet to function. Unless you can make it an offline program? If you can not use a Pi, what are some of the other things people are using for the AU?
My best - Buzz
1. Of course you can!

2. It is probably not the best way to get into electronics.

3. Heavily suggest you read up on kalman filtering first, and fly with a commercial altimeter while using your own only for data collection (maybe eventually backup deployment) for a few dozen flights.

If you are planning on using an RPi then you would probably choose the RPi Zero for its small size and lower power requirements compared with the standard RPi board. You can still interface a suitable pressure sensor such as the BMP280, or similar module. If you wish to include accelerometers, gyros and magnetometers you could consider the BNO055 + BMP280 module here.

My best - Buzz

The Raspberry Pi uses an SD card, which is something I wouldn't want to rely on in the acceleration / shock environment of a rocket. It also takes longer to boot and it is not exactly a real time platform.
I'd look into Arduinos and related platforms, if you're new to avionics.

Reinhard

The Raspberry Pi uses an SD card, which is something I wouldn't want to rely on in the acceleration / shock environment of a rocket. It also takes longer to boot and it is not exactly a real time platform.
I'd look into Arduinos and related platforms, if you're new to avionics.

Reinhard
Good points. Arduinos or Adafruit Feathers might be a better choice here.

Back