Can you say GLITTER

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap! That's awesome. That's the roughest finish I've ever seen. And I've painted quite a few rockets... :wink:
I think you need a coat or two of clear to smooth that out a bit. :)

When your Cd is a whole number of 4 places with a comma after the first digit and the decimals all the way to the right.....

Spray adhesive, glitter, spray adhesive, glitter, spay adhesive, glitter, and so on, and so on.

Then clear coat, more clear coat, more clear coat, more clear coat, ok a whole lot more clear coat.......

In fact can someone please weigh their painted Super Alpha sans motor, I think I'm getting heavy.

I really do need the weight of a painted Super Alpha if anyone can help.

Thank you,

Spray adhesive, glitter, spray adhesive, glitter, spay adhesive, glitter, and so on, and so on.

Then clear coat, more clear coat, more clear coat, more clear coat, ok a whole lot more clear coat.......

In fact can someone please weigh their painted Super Alpha sans motor, I think I'm getting heavy.

I was going to guess
"Roll in tar,
Roll in glitter"

Could accessorize with Bot-dot pavement markers!

I did a glitter paint job with an estes goblin. I had a similar problem with the roughness, but lots of wet sanding, clear coat, wet sanding, and repeat I was able to get a great finish without adding too much weight. But it did take time and I ended up removing a lot of the glitter to find the balance between paint thickness/weight and glitterness (yep, glitterness is a technical term). At the end of the day, my daughter/rocket designer was happy and it looks really good in the sun.

1491391912223.jpg

Wow! That does look good! Reminds me of old school metal flake on a Harley-Davidson!

Considering a stock super alpha takes 18mm motors (B+C) and is already a "low and slow" flier, i'm thinking you're going to need one of those AT 18mm D motors just to get this off the ground.

I did a glitter paint job with an estes goblin. I had a similar problem with the roughness, but lots of wet sanding, clear coat, wet sanding, and repeat I was able to get a great finish without adding too much weight. But it did take time and I ended up removing a lot of the glitter to find the balance between paint thickness/weight and glitterness (yep, glitterness is a technical term). At the end of the day, my daughter/rocket designer was happy and it looks really good in the sun.
Whoa Nelly, that looks fantastic.

She weighs in at 4.7 ounces. The overall diameter is about 1 7/8". Per Thrust Curve I should be able to fly it on a D-21. I changed the CD from 1 - 10,000, eventually the CD gets to high and it won't fly.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think what the appropriate paint finish setting would be for that in OR. :jaw:

Those are just really tiny vortex generators designed to keep the boundary layer attached to the fuselage and improve the effectiveness of the fins :)

Back