Can we remake plastic waste into rocket fuel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearnard66

Reaction score
Have you ever heard about green rocket fuel that is made from plastic waste? Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested

Well...plastic of almost any sort is a potential fuel. In fact, the binder in composite propellant is a plastic---an elastomer (rubbery).

The oxidizer part of a propellant is another matter; it typically makes up 70-80% of the weight. Any "green-ness" has to focus on the oxidizer and its properties. Ammonium perchlorate produces HCl gas in the exhaust, it dissolves in water (including the moisture in your nose/lungs) to form hydrochloric acid. Or in moist soil to form the same.

And as with commercial use of recycled plastic, the properties of the recycled material would have to be very reproducible and a highly effective fuel--which they aren't, which is why recycling companies are very specific about plastics for recycling: only HDPE, LDPE, PE, and PET or PETE are easily recycled. (If you recycle milk jugs, don't put the cap or the same-color plastic strip around the neck into the bin. Those are polypropylene, as are most plastic lids.)

Best -- Terry

Skyripper used polypropylene as one of their fuel options for 38mm. The other option was PVC if I remember correctly. The PP gave better performance. Using recycled plastic could be a good option since most recycling plants can hardly give the stuff away.

A hybrid can burn just about anything... however, commercial propulsion is usually concerned with optimizing thrust, total impulse, or both. Hybrids generally don't stack up to APCP or liquid fuels on an weight to thrust/impulse basis.

I'm 100% for recycling. Why in God's Name rocket motors? Recycle plastic goods into Plastic goods,
Recycled plastic actually is of much lower quality than fresh plastic (the polymers degrade every time they're melted), and many plastic goods wouldn't really work if made with recycled plastic. However, if it's being processed into hybrid propellant grains, none of that really matters. Hybrid grains might actually be one of the best use cases for recycled plastic.

It's also worth noting that only a small fraction of the plastic you put in your recycling bin ends up actually getting recycled, even if you were perfect about only putting plastics in that had the recycling symbol on them. Sadly, there are only a few types of "recyclable" plastic that are actually economical to recycle. Much of it ends up sent to the landfill.

There is a very promising use for non-recyclable plastics. It can actually be cracked into liquid with very similar properties to kerosene/gasoline. That's probably a better use than recycling into hybrid propellant grains.

I know that only some kinds of plastic can be used to make that kind of rocket fuel. Such kinds like Polypropylene (PP). Polyester (PE). Polystyrene (PS) and its mixtures and analogs

Skyripper used polypropylene as one of their fuel options for 38mm. The other option was PVC if I remember correctly. The PP gave better performance. Using recycled plastic could be a good option since most recycling plants can hardly give the stuff away.
In fireworking, various synthetics are used for star compositions for mines and aerial shells, including natural and synthetic polymers, as both binders and fuels. But not really for propellant fuels beyond the composite formulations you're already familiar with.

PVC powder, for example, is useful as a slow-medium burn rate fuel that also provides the chlorine necessary for amplifying color saturation needed in most colored comps, and it also acts as a good binder to keep individual stars intact when the aerial burst charge goes off. But PVC has not been explored much as a propellant (in fireworking, at least) because of its not-so-energetic burn when combined with the majority of pyro oxidizers (AP included). Another synthetic plastic-like polymer commonly used (and probably the binder in more than half of commercial aerial fireworks from China because it's so cheap) is phenolic resin, of which there are probably thousands of permutations. Phenolic resins, actually phenol-formaldehyde polymers, were the first true synthetic plastics (e.g., Bakelite). Given there's so many possible types, perhaps one or another might prove to be a useful propellant fuel. Phenol. Formaldehyde. Doesn't exactly ring of environmental friendliness, though....

Other synthetic binders/fuel/chlorine donors in fireworking don't stand out as potential propellant champions because of their mediocre burn rates and energy content. Commonly used synthetics: Parlon, i.e., chlorinated rubber; original Saran, i.e. polyvinylidene chloride, Chlorowax, i.e., chlorinated paraffin--70% chlorine, actually; are all used as combo fuels/chlorine donors in fireworking. But they burn pretty slowly and with variably nasty combustion products. Incidentally, the chlorine that fireworkers love about the original Saran was changed in the early 2000s to polyethylene by SC Johnson, due to the chlorine content and related environmental concerns. Lost a lot of sales with their mutated Saran Wrap. A little off-topic from rocket fuels, but a brief summary of the utility, and generally mediocre and dirty burning characteristics, of many synthetic polymers, even when mixed with hot oxidizers like AP and perc... That said, rocketeers are constantly striving for better propellants, whereas in fireworking, the primary use of rocket propellants (largely restricted to inexpensive BP, whistle, strobe, and some sugar fuels) is A) to launch a pretty device to an appropriate and safe altitude, and B) for the propellant effect itself (strobe/whistle fuels). So there's not really a ton of experimentation in that hobby, outside of select groups, in developing novel propellants based on synthetics. Some, but not much.

Given it's ubiquity across all layers of the globe, it'd be nice to find a true utility for all plastic waste, be it rocket fuel or something else. Although some innovation and creativity has been used to address the plastic "problem", reuse/recycling efforts remain woefully inadequate.

That "trash rocket" in tfish's post above exemplifies the filth of many burning synthetics. There's always room for improvement. His free-burning chunks ignited approximately as vigorously as some silicone/perc/Al formulations I've made for groundworks (not intended for propellants, but...who knows?), but without the worrisome black smoke cloud he got when packed into a tube.

Last edited:
Parlon with fine AP makes a great star comp as well as a halfway decent rocket fuel. I use Parlon/AP/Magnalium (KP works too and is cheaper but would take research in rocket fuel) in my go-getters and they burn fast enough to take flight as an end-burner. Only thing I don't like about it is the solvent.

If you can take recycled PE, powderize it and find a decent solvent for it, it would be an interesting choice in some research motors. Heat and pressure might be substitutes for a solvent.

I`ve read an article about ecosene actually, the new kind of fuel that is remade of plastic. And recent test has shown that the new type of rocket fuel ( remade of plastic )is 1% - 3% better than kerosene by its energy characteristics. I wonder if it`s possible to use such kind of fuel in long space journeys?

I`ve read an article about ecosene actually, the new kind of fuel that is remade of plastic. And recent test has shown that the new type of rocket fuel ( remade of plastic )is 1% - 3% better than kerosene by its energy characteristics. I wonder if it`s possible to use such kind of fuel in long space journeys?
That’s still a low specific impulse for long distances, but wouldn’t hurt for maneuvering. Non-chemical engines are capable of orders of magnitude more impulse but many orders of magnitude less thrust.

You know what I want to use as fuel? Plastic shopping bags. (in a hybrid, obviously...) I get several dozen a month. I keep a few on hand (they're great for wrapping things up, or for use as padding when shipping something), but most of them get tossed. If only there were an easy way to heat and fuse them, and compress that into a fuel grain. I'd get into hybrids if I got a fuel grain every time I went out shopping!

You know what I want to use as fuel? Plastic shopping bags. (in a hybrid, obviously...) I get several dozen a month. I keep a few on hand (they're great for wrapping things up, or for use as padding when shipping something), but most of them get tossed. If only there were an easy way to heat and fuse them, and compress that into a fuel grain. I'd get into hybrids if I got a fuel grain every time I went out shopping!

I like the idea but a few year ago, I realized I could do without plastic shopping bags altogether. I just ride the shopping cart to my car, and put the stuff in "real bags" I keep in the trunk. The next morning, I put back the "real bags" in the trunk for the next time.

Also, I just happen to have watched a few Richard Feynman videos yesterday so well, I get to be the dick (Feynman's nickname, what his students and colleagues like L. Susskind called him) who does spell checks on his name now.

Anyway yeah, plastic bags as rocket fuel. Love it. What a strange morning I'm having.

Not done with the coffee yet, still half asleep. 😴

Hey everyone lets be green by recycling and using recyclables just to burn them and destroy the atmosphere. Lol

So let's look at it realistically as a ex motor.

in AP compositions, I can use new plastics to slow down my burns, which is neither helping recycling nor is it a property I want in my rocket motors (but some people love long burns) but this is NOT recycling
You can process them, somehow, at some level of effort, expense and risk to be determined and make grains. Then you can stuff them into hybrid motors which are heavy, complicated and have low (comparatively) performance. There's a reason why hybrid motors reached their hay day in the time of the BATF problems, then quickly died away after Judge Walton required them to follow their own rules. Now hybrids are unique because of their difficulties.

So, although theoretically, we could do that, why would we?

I`ve heard that Skyrora XL rocket is gonna use such kind of fuel. Still, this rocket is not made for some long journeys. However, this still good news for the space exploration area, and probably in some time this type fuel will become more advanced.

We can make people into tasty Soylent Green, so I would say yes.😳🤣😅
Interesting that the date for this dystopian future with a wrecked climate, overpopulation, people's corpses being made into food, and what-not is... 2022. Granted the novel was written in 1966, but by 1973, the year the movie came out, that was only 49 years away.

I do think this is a good idea. Alternative energy from trash is a great way to reduce waste,

Have you ever heard about green rocket fuel that is made from plastic waste? Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested

With a hybrid, you can burn literally anything that is flammable. Would be easy enough to melt down scrap plastic that isn't usable for other products and make it into a hybrid grain. Would be doable with solids as well depending on the plastic and how hot you have to get it, but so much easier if you don't have to mix energetic materials while heated.

I do think this is a good idea. Alternative energy from trash is a great way to reduce waste,
Yes, in theory. But as I've read on the web, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there is."

Rocketeers making motors using trash plastic for the fuel would not decrease significantly the total amount of plastic waste.

For NASA, SpaceX, and all those folks, the fuel must be the same stuff every time, to ensure success. (Ex: RP-1 properties are rigidly specified to minimize 'coking', ordinary kerosene is unsatisfactory.) Plastic waste is so heterogeneous that it's difficult to make things like lumber and benches from it...and they usually cost more than the wooden item they replace. With the cost of putting a pound of payload into orbit, the propellants must be as powerful and uniform as is practical.

And even with all that, I doubt that it would put a dent in the over 35 million tons of plastic discarded every year.

Best -- Terry

Yes, in theory. But as I've read on the web, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there is."

And even with all that, I doubt that it would put a dent in the over 35 million tons of plastic discarded every year.

Best -- Terry

It all sound good, but like you said, the practice can be very different than theory.
Even if they could get consistent propellant from trash, the cost of that consistency could be more than using existing propellants. It's all about the $$$ so that would rule it out.
The other thing, what kind of toxic exhaust comes from burning trash? It may sound environmentally advantageous, but could be much more environmentally damaging.

I watched a show on PBS where someone is using some kind of plastic as fuel for small, lightweight and portable rockets to launch those micro satellites into orbit.
The focus on the show was all the different companies that has risen up in the current space race, not the fuels.
So other than that some plastic was used for fuel, they didn't go into it.
But with plastic not decomposing and most everything is made of plastic, instead of stuffing it into land fills if we can make rocket fuel out of the crap it would be a big plus.
As long as there are no ill effects from it to any form of life on Earth!

Not that I’m giving away formulas but the Black Smoke fuel from Contrail Rockets uses 20% recycled materials and the binder is NASA surplus from the shuttle booster propellant.
The newest 54mm 20 long motors with the four inch pleated grain is made from the same fuel as the 75 mm M-1491.
The Black Gold fuel used in the L-2525 and many other reloads utilizes 47.25% recycled materials in its fuel formula. I have been using recycled materials for over 15 years.

There is a large disparity between plastics generated, plastic collected for recycling, and plastics actually recycled. Waste to energy is a viable and useful tool to address disposal of plastics, which are basically nothing more than solid hydrocarbons. Burning is indeed recycling. But industry and the environmental groups remain opposed due to 1) emissions which are costly to treat; and 2) does not address underlying issues of a disposable economy.

However, when you look at the generation data, it rapidly becomes apparent we are not going to recycle our way out of the hole we are filling with plastic (i.e., the landfill).

FYI, while industry talks up the recycling value of plastics, most of the plastics that are recycled are turned into lower grade materials, typically building materials, carpet, geofabrics. Which is fine and we do need those products, but we still generate vastly more raw than recycled plastics.

Time to build a few power plants, and stop landfilling plastic.

1623521909970.png

Back