Can we Fly Micro Gliders both BG RG or RC-RG?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just trying to start the conversations...

We've seen a number of very nice Micro versions of popular gliders. Some familiar some not so.

I think my first micro glider was a custom Deltie long before Robert Edmonds even though about downscaling his original deltie..which he has now I think Bill at BMS sells them or perhaps can get them. If you want one thats a bit smaller and really flys like gang busters. the one-page plan is still in the MicroMaxRockets group.

then came a micro Nomad RG. and Micro Flex-wings, T3-Flying Jenny, and Micro Edmonds Ivee....more later

MM 214a1-sm_8thA-Flex-Wing-Glider_09-08-99.jpg

MM 227a-sm_Ivee (Edmonds) BG_08-11-00.jpg

Those are some great looking gliders. The only glider i have built was the Deltie and i forgot to add a little weight to one cornor and it flew and flew and flew im guessing its still flying :) i did download the micro version but havent gotten around to building it yet

There are several more in the fleet.

One of my first 3X downscales was the Orbital Transport. doing so I was told by several I should make the orbiter permanently captive on the mothership as i'd never be able to find a T2 size glider. I just couldn't do it, the orbiter has to be Free. Ya know if you love it let to go...if it's ment to be it'll come back LOL!!!! well to date (more the 25 flights) that same little glider has made it back. and gliders just about as well as it's bigger inspiration.

I always loved the Skydart so just had to downscale it but with normal building materials the T4 scale Skydart tipped the scales at 20.3grams..she just wouldn't get out of her own way. I tried again with foamcore wings but not much lighter. so I decided to try boosting them with some OOP Booster motors 1/2A3-0s, A3-0T and A10-0t's They worked! Boosted, Staged and glide pretty darn good! Now if only they'll bring back the A3-0t I'd be happy:) I'm going to try a micor Clustered booster but I'm not sure that's going to give me enough alititude.

Same with the Small but very draggy BumbleFlee. It's an off shoot of an old QCR 1/4A glider design. Downscaled slightly it glides super but doesn't get much altitude on a single motor.

ditto the T3 Scissor-wing Transport. Decent altitude but not quite enough on a single motor to get a long glide. prehaps with a booster we'll get a little more flight time.

MM 240a3-sm_T4 SkyDart & T4 Booster_09-07-06.jpg

MM 240p02c_Booster Staged 13-6mm MMSkydart2pic_09-06-06.jpg

MM 295a3-sm_Bumble Flee 2pic_08-16-04.jpg

Last edited:
My last 4 are a combination of BG's (Boost Gliders) and RG's (Rocket Gliders)

The first being a 3X downscale of Edmunds ECee which I dubbed the Ecee 8thA. As a Rocket glider it's a great little glider once you trim out the boost loop.

This is also the model on which i've based my 1/8A RCRG. First built and test flown in September of 2007 I've been tinkering with this model by widening the body slightly to enclose the Li-poly battery and reciever. Since I don't consider the 5 or 6 second test flight a successful flight I haven't talked about this model but am hoping to have the bugs worked out of the magnetic servo/hinge problem latter this summer.

The slide pod RG was an attempt to see just how much our MMX motor would get off the pad. it's a 1/4A QCR competition glider retro-fitted with a T2+ motor pod...it' really doesn't work without a piston launcher at all.

the Micro Falcon is another downscale Fantastic flyer once trimmed. Using a T2++ (.316" OD) motor tube we can add a wrap around streamer to the motor casing making this model contest flyable as a BG.

Next to last is another "Had to do it" downscale of the Lunar Patrol dual glider model. this thing flys a great as it looks and the gliders CAN be trimmed to circle the booster during decent landing within about 10feet of each other.
This one is really fun to fly. I'm hoping Fliskits 3's-A-Charm micro gliders can be trimmed out the same way.

Last is my still in the painting stages Fliskit 3's-A-Charm...What can I say it looks like it's gonna be a really fun flyer..needing lots of eyes on the 4 parts:)

MM 301p4-sm_Slide Pod RG 13in 3pic pg_12-11-04.jpg

MM 318p10-sm_Lunar Patrol Complete(115dpi)_07-29-06.jpg

MM 365uc09a_3's-A-Charm_Construction complete_02-19-10.JPG

There are RADIO CONTROLLED electric airplanes under 10 grams even under 5 grams and someone working on a 1gram model.

so "in theory" you could build a micro maxx RC but it would have to be flown indoors (since the RC gear is infra red) and boost issues abound.

ie they usually use magnetic actuators which get cranky at high speed (ie tear off) if you can keep them in place you should be able to control for the glide.

There are RADIO CONTROLLED electric airplanes under 10 grams even under 5 grams and someone working on a 1gram model.

so "in theory" you could build a micro maxx RC but it would have to be flown indoors (since the RC gear is infra red) and boost issues abound.

ie they usually use magnetic actuators which get cranky at high speed (ie tear off) if you can keep them in place you should be able to control for the glide.

Yes Nerys:
It's not a theory; they work with a least the one Micro RCRG i've been playing with. It's a modified micro Ecee, made wide enough to hold the Lipoly bat/receiver inside the body, it's been in the works for a few years now using that very systems. Those Magnetic actuators and their placement are the parts keeping it "experimental" LOL! I found the need for placing several very tiny "tissue" hinges along the Main wing elevators to keep them on. Still working to get the overall model mass down a bit more for longer flights.

Last edited:
Nice. How have you handled flutter? the few times I tried mag-acts I needed the hinge so loose that it fluttered and ripped off on boost.

I guess the tissue hinges are enough to keep them from fluttering..that hasn't seen to be a problem. The Ecee is a hands off boost model, prehaps that's the difference? Haven't tied this little thing on a front wing model.

hmmm it also dawned on me if your launching with MMX motors your not going to have a flutter problem (I was using 1/2A and A engines)

the MMX won't thrust long enough to have a flutter issue. Hmmm makes me want to try one.

Back