Can vintage Q2G2 black powder igniters set off a QJet composite motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I found out today, the answer is YES, but........
The pyrogen head can vary in diameter. Some Q2G2s fit through the bore while others were too thick.
Be aware that Q2G2s can be set off while doing the continuity check on some controllers.. They fire off at a low amperage which makes made them popular for cluster applications.
Back story: I ran out of First Fire Micros, they were just too fragile and broke apart when trying to snake them through the bore of the QJet motors. So I experimented. Q2G2s are a good length and can reach the front of QJets while leaving a long enough tail out the nozzle end.
Would probably work better with wider nozzle QJets. These were early production B motors.
👍

Interesting. I've thought of giving this a try, but hadn't actually done it. I've only had a handful (or less) FirstFire Micros be damaged enough to be unusable. They will fire a Q-jet even with no pyrogen.

The new B6Ws have a tiny nozzle and the newly toughened FirstFire Micros are sometimes challenging to get in them. Older ones are slimmer but more fragile, as you know.

Estes Sonics should work in Q-Jets, too.

As I found out today, the answer is YES, but........
The pyrogen head can vary in diameter. Some Q2G2s fit through the bore while others were too thick.
Be aware that Q2G2s can be set off while doing the continuity check on some controllers.. They fire off at a low amperage which makes made them popular for cluster applications.
Back story: I ran out of First Fire Micros, they were just too fragile and broke apart when trying to snake them through the bore of the QJet motors. So I experimented. Q2G2s are a good length and can reach the front of QJets while leaving a long enough tail out the nozzle end.
Would probably work better with wider nozzle QJets. These were early production B motors.
👍
The real question is, How do you manage to still have some of these? I used up my stash long ago...

The real question is, How do you manage to still have some of these? I used up my stash long ago...
Found a hobby shop that was selling Quest booster motors with the Q2G2s a few years ago. Bought a bunch and saved the igniters for cluster launches. Even had some Tiger Tails until recently. Worked great!

Back