Can someone identify this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron Anderson

Reaction score
Got this from a friend, he got it from one of his friends and had no idea what it is. Anyone have any info on it? If nothing else it's a cool piece to collect but I'd love to be able to fly it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_153528.jpg
    IMG_20200512_153528.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200512_153535.jpg
    IMG_20200512_153535.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 63
Whatever it is it's fairly old. :) I have no idea but I'm going to take some guesses just for fun.

I see a PIC micro, a couple of relays, and some discretes. Whole thing looks hand-made. Seems to be a two-channel ejection controller but I don't see any obvious sign of altitude-sensing components. Therefore I posit that the two channels are timer-controlled, using time values selected by the two dip switches up top. Can't tell what triggers the timers to start. Hmm, maybe a timed air-start controller rather than ejection controller.

OK that's my wild guesswork. I look forward to finding out if I'm even in the ballpark. :)

I agree with your assessment, Neil. The G switch in the lower left quadrant made me think timer. The two larger LEDs are continuity indicators triggered by the push button to their left. I powered it up with a 7.4v lipo, it came wired with a 9v connector, and the continuity indicators work. And the smaller LED near the top flashes regularly when powered.

I wonder if a drop test would be enough to trigger the G switch? I could measure the time delays of the various dip switch positions with an LED hooked into the outputs.

Is that a mechanical G-switch just to the left of the lower relay (silver cannister)?

Edit: Cameron answered that question while I was typing mine!

Back