Can someome identify this Raven 4 component?

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Cameron Anderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 5, 2019 #1

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Anyone know what this is on the Raven 4 and/or what it does?

I bought some cheap lipo connectors and the polarity was crossed on some of them so when hooked up power for a wiring test, my e-matches blew and the piece pictured popped clean off the circuit card. I corrected the polarity and got continuity and even reprogrammed the altimeter via my computer and everything looks good.

I am going to fly it this weekend as a primary altimeter with a known good back-up but i'd sure love to know what that piece is and if it is repairable.

Attached Files:

2. Sep 5, 2019 #2

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Might be a schottky diode, based on meter measurements (low diode drop in one direction). I would have a closer look but I can't find my x10 magnifiers (I have three) anywhere :(.

One pin connects directly to the V+ terminal. So it could be for reverse polarity protection of the PCA. Two ways it could go, either across the V+ and GND (stops the reverse voltage getting too high on the board) or in series with the V+ so it will block any current from flowing in reverse polarity.
    [EDIT] Just belled out the other connection and it is GND. So the diode is across the V+ and GND terminals to keep the reverse voltage limited somewhat, and likely what took a hit with the reverse polarity.

If you message Adrian A on this forum he will likely tell you exactly what part it is. Alternatively, and if you like a challenge, use Digikey to find a suitable part.
    www.digikey.com

Found a magnifier. Marking is CL 687 but I have not been able to identify it yet.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    jpoehlman and Cameron Anderson like this.
  3. Sep 5, 2019 #3

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Wow, spot on! I messaged Adrian and he got back to me and said exactly what you said - reverse polarity protection diode.

I'm still shocked the altimeter works but would love to replace that component if possible.

4. Sep 5, 2019 #4

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

OverTheTop

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Did he say what the part number was? You can purchase one from Digikey or, if you are lucky, he might send you one. He is a very helpful person :).

If it has a crater in the top then it is likely permanently open circuit. That means the altimeter should be usable, but be extra careful with battery polarity ;). Personally I would get a new part for it. I might even be able to find something here, but I have limited bandwidth lately.

5. Sep 5, 2019 #5

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

I asked for a part number or to buy a part from him, still waiting for thr reply. I definitely want the insurance against another slip up

6. Sep 6, 2019 #6

Adrian A

Adrian A

Adrian A

Sponsor TRF Sponsor TRF Lifetime Supporter

Cameron Anderson likes this.
  7. Sep 6, 2019 #7

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Part ordered.

Data looked good on FIP - baro alt was spot on. I've checked continuity on all 4 channels and adjusted their programmed functions a few times to see if the altimeter holds the program and it does.

I'm testing it in flight on Saturday (with another altimeter as back up) and will report back. I hope it works, and if not, I absolutely won't blame the design (since I was the one who reversed polarity on a clearly marked altimeter) or the help I've received.

Fingers crossed! (Worst case is I have to buy another Raven in time for BALLS so I hope there is one in stock!)

8. Sep 8, 2019 #8

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Cameron Anderson

Just got back from the field and everything appears nominal (except for landing in a lava rock field and snapping a fin, but that is hardly the fault of any onboard electronics).

Raven 4, acting as primary altimeter, with drogueless separation at apogee and main at 1,472 functioned as planned.

Raven 4 reported 4,027 AGL apogee, RRC2 backup reported 4,018 AGL. All Raven-activated e-matches fired and all flight data was captured and saved.

I know reversing polarity is always a bad thing but the Raven 4 appears to be one rugged unit. Thanks Adrian!

9. Sep 8, 2019 #9

Adrian A

Adrian A

Adrian A

Sponsor TRF Sponsor TRF Lifetime Supporter

Glad to hear it!