Can somebody do me a RockSim favor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Hello, I don't have RockSim, so could someone run a simulation of a LOC Precision Graduator modified to a 54mm motor mount and flying on a AT DMS L1000W.
And then after that flight, stick a 38mm motor mount in with a AT I280DM and give me both results.
THANK YOU!

Hey,
Just so you know, there's also a free simulator called Openrocket. You can find it at openrocket.sourceforge.net. It's free to download and use. :)

Hello, I don't have RockSim, so could someone run a simulation of a LOC Precision Graduator modified to a 54mm motor mount and flying on a AT DMS L1000W.
And then after that flight, stick a 38mm motor mount in with a AT I280DM and give me both results.
THANK YOU!

OpenRocket is free and IMHO better than RockSim. Every flier ought to know how to use one of those programs IMHO.

Ummmm, Post your desired weights and perhaps your CG. Hi Matt, maybe rockets is too impatient to go through the learning curve of either app.
I think the trial of Rocksim would allow you to run some sims but doesn't allow you to save the flights or rocket? Someone could clarify.

Dave has good advice too. For simple stuff, I use RS mainly 'cause that's what was out there way back. Tried SpaceCad once and even got a license
but lost interest in it. Earlier Open Rocket versions simply sucked and when I imported a Rocksim design got nowhere near the predictive
values of Rocksim that were proven on actual flights.

Yes, that was a long time ago and I realize the Open Rocket has changed and a lot of folks run it now and are satisfied with it. I agree
take the trouble to learn a sim and one won't regret it. OR has a nice price so no excuse not to use it.
There are many who are put off at the price of the entry level Rocksim program and I don't blame them

Kurt

Last edited:
I don't have the AT DMS loaded..

but roughly AMW K1075 GG 12725' 2510 ft sec
AT I305FJ 4764' 1212 ft sec

Tony

when I downloaded OpenRcoket it put a virus on the computer. And I can't download RockSim Demo

That's odd. I've never heard of anyone getting a virus from Open Rocket. I've been using OR for several years, and have downloaded all the different versions on three different computers, and never got a virus. I'm not sure how it could happen. Are you running an up-to-date anti-virus program? Maybe someone more computer savvy than I am can chime in on how it could happen.

Rockets, that's odd. How are you sure that the virus was a result of OpenRocket?

That's odd. I've never heard of anyone getting a virus from Open Rocket. I've been using OR for several years, and have downloaded all the different versions on three different computers, and never got a virus. I'm not sure how it could happen. Are you running an up-to-date anti-virus program? Maybe someone more computer savvy than I am can chime in on how it could happen.

yes, my anti-virus program is up to date.

well, a lot of weird things happened right after we downloaded it.
Like what? Openrocket is developed by some of the guys on this forum, and it's commonly used. I'm just surprised that you got a virus off of it.

I'd like to help you get Openrocket working on your computer. It's something every rocketeer needs to have.

THANK YOU!

Whose Graduator? What is the mass? What is the finish? What results do you want? I highly doubt that anybody is flying a stock Graduator on an L motor. :eyeroll:

At a minimum, get to know Thrustcurve motor guide for basic simulations on any and all motors. No software to install.

Mindsim for a stock Loc Graduator on an L1000W says "shredded at high velocity". If it is not stock, a stock sim wont work in this case or even be close. RS or OR will give you a sim for IF the rocket holds together, but not the point at which the materials fail.

If you don't have Java installed and your security settings are set way high, your computer will tell you that .Jar files could harm your computer. Then it might try to install Java, which may account for the "lots of weird things" happening.

If you don't have Java installed and your security settings are set way high, your computer will tell you that .Jar files could harm your computer. Then it might try to install Java, which may account for the "lots of weird things" happening.

that does kinda sound right!

Using the sim file on Rocket reviews page (which is supposedly modified in some manner, labelled "Magna Cum Louder") run with OpenRocket I get the following....

L1000W: 14808ft, max velocity 3086ft/sec (mach 2.8) Oh, and the motor takes up almost the entire BT....
I280Dm: 5116ft, max velocity 1358ft/sec (mach 1.22)

My guess is that the rocket would not survive either of these flights. But what do I know....

Using the sim file on Rocket reviews page (which is supposedly modified in some manner, labelled "Magna Cum Louder") run with OpenRocket I get the following....

L1000W: 14808ft, max velocity 3086ft/sec (mach 2.8) Oh, and the motor takes up almost the entire BT....

My guess is that the rocket would not survive either of these flights. But what do I know....

Mach 2.8? Well that'll be one spectacular shred.

thanks for the answers! Well, I think I'm up for the challenge. DMS L1000W in a graduator? People may think that is crazy but I don't.

thanks for the answers! Well, I think I'm up for the challenge. DMS L1000W in a graduator? People may think that is crazy but I don't.

Got a L2 and enough recovery room there cowboy?

Yeah it is kinda crazy. That's getting a wee close to Mach 3. Rockets going that fast are going to need profound amounts of composite reinforcement. I'll bite, what's your layup going to be on this airframe?

-Dave

at a guess they got unwanted software from an unsupervised java install.
Rex

Using my calculations, at Mach 2.8, you're blowing about 3 times beyond the buckling limit of that airframe with no reinforcement. It will go off like a confetti cannon.

Fiberglass reinforcement will put you right at the limit, so a shed there is also very likely.

:pop:

Using my calculations, at Mach 2.8, you're blowing about 3 times beyond the buckling limit of that airframe with no reinforcement. It will go off like a confetti cannon.

Fiberglass reinforcement will put you right at the limit, so a shed there is also very likely.

:pop:

I did not do the calculations, but I was thinking along these lines as well. I think you would need to laminate this rocket with carbon fiber several layers thick. The fins will likely need to be seriously augmented/replaced. The nose cone will likely need to be filled with foam to reduce/eliminate deformation.

You would probably be better off build something similar out of filament wound or convolute carbon fiber.

Back