Can Loctite General Purpose Epoxy be painted? 5-min

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underdog

Reaction score
Can Loctite General Purpose Epoxy (5 min) be painted? I don't have much experience with epoxy. I was excited to use the small tubes with mixing nozzels (easy/hardly any mess). Now I'm not so excited. I was going to spray paint this rocket and fly this weekend.
I just used it to attach the fins and fillet the joints. When looking for information on how long to wait before painting I found this statement....
epxoy.JPG

Attachments

• nopaint.JPG
    nopaint.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Odd, I've used Loc-tite epoxy for fillets and had no problem painting over it. If you are nervous, put a small amount of epoxy on a piece of scrap, let it dry and spray a test coat of primer/paint over it.

Odd, I've used Loc-tite epoxy for fillets and had no problem painting over it. If you are nervous, put a small amount of epoxy on a piece of scrap, let it dry and spray a test coat of primer/paint over it.

Ok, maybe I’ll get lucky. I was thinking that there might be something paintable that I could cover the epoxy with like paper but I’m hoping to keep this build lite. I will do a test with primer.
I will say, the mixing nozzle on the epoxy allowed for very precise application of the adhesive and very little mess. You get two "single use" nozzles with each tube. These get excellent reviews.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if paint doesn't stick. You can sand with 220grit to give the surface some roughness and then prime first to maximize the changes of a good result.

Haven't used that particular loctite product.

My L1 is built with Loctite heavy-duty 5min (in the bottles), the epoxy holds paint better than the polypropylene nosecone so far, and it's flown H-J without issue.
(I've since switched to Titebond II for cardboard/ply rockets)

Back