Can I replace the plastic cap for the ejection charge?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well considering that the 38mm reloads come with both a red cap, and an adhesive coated paper disc...(which doesn't usually stay stuck), I would suggest some masking tape in a 'X' over the end.
rex

After you place the BP in the well, you should pack the rest of the well with some dog barf (loose insulation) or some other type of wadding. That way the BP is tightly contained and then proceed with taping like Rex said.

Hobby line cases don't have much of a well, though. I have never used a 24/40 before but the 29/40-120 comes with more black powder than the tiny little ring on the forward closure can fit.

Hobby line cases don't have much of a well, though. I have never used a 24/40 before but the 29/40-120 comes with more black powder than the tiny little ring on the forward closure can fit.

Exactly what I was thinking. The well will not hold the entired EC on the 24/40 case. You could build up the well with wraps of masking tape and get some extra room that way while not going as high as the red cap, though...

There is not enough room for the BP in the depression on top of the 24/40 casing. It was designed with the red cap as the charge holder. I don't see that the plastic cap will do any more damage than the clay plug on top of some BP engines, but if you are really concerned, slitting the top with an Exacto should reduce its tendency to fly off as a projectile. You could use masking tape to ensure that the slip stays closed until the ejection charge fires.

yes,
a couple wraps of the well with masking tape, and a couple pieces over the top of the well after you fill it.

This is how i use more BP than the reload comes with for my "larger" rockets.

another type of tape that works great is the metal duct tape... it sticks to anything, and holds it's shape, one of the guys at the local club turned me on to that.

I've used balsa baffles with the 24/40 reloads quite often and haven't have any issues yet with the red caps, but have used masking tape in place of the caps if I've had doubts. I use my fingernail to get the tape into the groove on the closure, and close the tape tightly over the well, with an extra piece over the top.

I do wonder what happens to those red caps though... I mean, the one on the nozzle before ignition disappears, I'm assuming it's vaporized by the flame of the engine. The ejection charge caps I've never seen with the exception of one that came out of the AeroTech Initiator with the "steel wool" baffle

I do wonder what happens to those red caps though... I mean, the one on the nozzle before ignition disappears, I'm assuming it's vaporized by the flame of the engine. The ejection charge caps I've never seen with the exception of one that came out of the AeroTech Initiator with the "steel wool" baffle

The three I did today were all hanging from ignitor clips, still taped to the remains of the Copperheads. The ejection caps almost always come out after a few shakes. I may have been a bit lucky, but all have been accounted for so far.

They don't vanish, they just bounce pretty far when they hit the blast deflector, much like estes plugs.

After you place the BP in the well, you should pack the rest of the well with some dog barf (loose insulation) or some other type of wadding. That way the BP is tightly contained and then proceed with taping like Rex said.

Good advice. It's very important the hole is filled up and the BP is kept in contact with the delay...no loose powder.
I had good luck with using a bigger and stickier(newer) paper label and trimming it. It seemed like the Aerotech paper disks were dryed out and old.

Last edited:
I do wonder what happens to those red caps though...

They get distributed across your range. If you police the area after a launch you'll find them all over. The ignitor caps generally within 25 ft of the pads and the ejection cap distributed randomly across the rest.

They don't vaporize, they don't degrade, they are litter.

Like many above, I prefer masking tape. I do not use the plastic caps. The tape is more environmentally friendly.

Back